New use for an old tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New use for an old tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Straightening a cotter pin to prepare it for removal is not that hard but it can be frustrating if it is bent all the way over.

The pictures shows after I straightened with the tool.

I used a tack removal tool to wedge under the pin, then twist it to unfolded the pin very quick and easily.

Just sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

That works!

I use this tool I found at a garage sale for removing cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

Neat cotter pin tool!

What I usually do is - straighten the ends of the pin as best I can with needle nose pliers, then insert one tip of the needle nose pliers into the head of the pin, close the pliers, then hammer on the pliers to pull the pin out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

I put a wrench on the nut and back it off shearing the pin then use a small drift to remove the rest, unless of course that you are trying to save the pin. :-). KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

I do what Keith does, on the old rusty stuff, but not the new ones. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Cool tools, but the simple way to get cotter pins out is to just grab the loop end deep in a pair of dykes and pry it right out, without even touching the bent ends. An old mechanic showed me that years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

I've posted this before I'm sure but I picked this tool up at a garage sale many moons ago. Seems to work well as long as you have the room. Jim

cottercotter2cotter3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Wow! I have NEVER seen that before. That's one of those oddballs that you might pick up and have no idea what it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Neat tool, I'll have to keep an eye out for one!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration