Greasing rear axle outer bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Greasing rear axle outer bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

When I rebuilt my rear axle 3 years ago I used the new neoprene inner seals with the steel disk and the aluminium/neoprene outer seals. Ever since the rebuild I have been thinking that my outer hyatt bearings now is kind of "sealed bearings". Therefore I have been afraid to put in too much grease. I have zerk fittings and I know the pressure from the grease gun easily could press out the seals. So far no problems.The grease stays where its supposed to be. Why add more grease?
How often do I need to grease the bearings ?
Any thoughts ?
Rolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

The instructions in the drivers manual were for car that did not have an inner grease seal which was up to about 1925. I have found that you don't need anymore grease then maybe a modern car once you add all the seals. As you said, if you put too much in it will want to go someplace and that's out. I guess every few years depending on how much you drive, pull the outer seals and inspect and grease as needed if you don't see any sign of leakage. Guess a pump (hand) of the grease gun each year for good measure. I Think the later cars like V8 and Model A's with modern grease seals is like 30,000 miles between services.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Thanks Mark.
I agree . That's what I think too.
Rolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I think that with modern inner seals, if you push too much grease, it will go in the differential.
These seals are made to prevent oil coming from differential but should spread if they have pressure from bearing side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:38 am:

At maybe two or three pumps a year do any think they will fill the rear end and force grease past the seals?? Grease is cheap,bearings not so much! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I would be more worried about pushing past the outer seals on to the brakes and wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

My large drum axle still had the leather inner seals, and all the excess grease I kept pumping in there ended up all over the brakes. None of it went past the leather seals into the axle tubes, the leather was still a tight fit to the axle shafts.

Best regards.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration