Tie Rod Bushings Too Small

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tie Rod Bushings Too Small
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

The new tie rod bolt bushings I got are .675" OD. The old bushings are .694" OD, so the new ones just drop through.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

I ordered some 3/4 x 1/2 bushings from McMaster and will turn them down on the lathe. The tie rod bolts from the supplier were OK, but the bushings weren't even close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Good tie rod bolt bushings can be made from old spindle bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:09 am:

I have a few n.o.s. ones not many but a few for sale, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:18 am:

If the bushings are that far off I would contact the vendor and tell them to check the rest. They usually will do that.
This is a good time to remind a vendor about this so the supplier can be notified of the error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Usually the steel bushings are split, so it's easy to make them wider until they fit firm in the steering arm. But of course, then maybe they get a too big inner diameter - how much play would there be then with a new tie rod bolt? Is it the same as the outer difference of .694"-.675"=0.019"? That would be way too much..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:46 am:

I ALWAYS buy brass bushings for everything. I don't wish to wear out my NOS tie rod bolts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I got brass ones from Lang's a while back, after the first vendor sent me the crappy split steal ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

I got a reply (below) from the vendor (Langs) today. Thanks to them for recognizing the problem and working to solve it.

I see what you mean. All of the bushings in our 2718RE kits are too small. Ill have to talk with our supplier to fix it. All of our other kits are the right size. Im getting the right size at more at .687 which matches some parts drawings I have here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 05:12 am:

R V's tip is a good one. Not only do you save the cost of a new bush, but portion of the head of the king pin bush can be left on to compensate for wear on the tie rod ends and to leave a thrust face to take the weight of the tie rod.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Good for Langs to solve the issue. This is a good example how we need to respond to the vendors to correct an issue. It makes the hobby only better.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration