Letter R Cast in Model T Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Letter R Cast in Model T Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Veghte on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Does anyone know what the letter R cast in the head of my Model T signify? Is it a high compression head like a Z head? What might the compression ratio be?
Thanks,
Rick
Letter R cast in Model T head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Mold makers mark. Thats how he got paid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:38 am:

I have a aluminium head with the R on it, the combustion chamber is the same as the one Synders sell T-3001-X which is 8:1 ratio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:57 am:

If it's cast iron it's just a mold mark. There were a number of different letter used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Could it be R for Reeder, who I believe designed the original Al head?
I use to have a Reeder jead but switched to Prus, which has a P, naturally the Z head has a Z.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Prus Sr on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:12 am:

It's an old Genson head for Rod Genson who originally made 6 and 8 to 1 heads back in the late 60s and early 70s. He passed away years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Prus Sr on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:12 am:

It's an old Genson head for Rod Genson who originally made 6 and 8 to 1 heads back in the late 60s and early 70s. He passed away years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Hi, Rick. Welcome to the Forum. Is the head aluminum or cast iron?

Kevin- I'm not familiar with a Genson head. Were they a low head or a high head? Rick has a 1915 which should have a low head.

I have Z or Reeder heads on all of my cars and love 'em.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Rod Jensen was a member of the Western Mass Chapter. He passed in the mid-70's. He manufactured a high aluminum script head. Our '17 Coupelet has one and I like it very much. You can check the front cover of Vintage Ford Vol. 12 #2. His club featured T's of colors other than black. Perhaps the 'R' stands for Rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Veghte on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the information. The Model T head is aluminum, so I am thinking that it is a high compression head as suggested by several readers. The engine runs very strong, so maybe it is 8:1. I read the interesting post on "Compression" and will check the compression on each cylinder, although I live in Colorado and will need to make a high altitude adjustment to compute the compression ratio. BTW doesn't 8:1 seem kind of high for a T ? Does that add any extra stress to the connecting rods or anything?
Thanks,
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 07:33 am:

A true 8:1 compression would be a bit tough on splash lubed babbitt - often 6:1 is considered a max for standard A & T engines. But it will always depend on how the extra power is used - if all the new power isn't used for extra speed and racing, then maybe it can hold up for a while, but the babbitt may need adjusting more often?

With an oil pump and a stronger crankshaft drilled for oil to the rods, there should be no problems with a Sherman style head with a true 8:1 compression = a combustion chamber that holds about 138 cc.
A standard high head holds about 294cc, that's 3.8:1
http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/head_design.htm

My Z head holds about 210 cc in one combustion chamber, that's 5:1, about the same as my Prus head before I milled it - so both the Z and the Prus heads are quite safe to put on standard engines for better overall performance without too much extra stress.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration