Is it possible to outrun the police in a model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is it possible to outrun the police in a model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:27 am:

In their day maybe....and perhaps its still possible in a place called Gore!

Look what I found when passing through on Saturday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:58 am:

:-)

Here's from "On the Dixie Bee Line" by Uncle Dave Macon, 1926:

"Went to the mountains for to get some booze,
The Henry Ford car was the one I choose,
The officers got after me, I'd say,
but I pulled her wide open and made my getaway."

Vernon Dalhart's cover from the same year can be found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6-CjhKknYs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:36 am:

I bet you couldn't out run them in a muddy field! Or they use that to crush speeder's cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Depends on how busy they are eating donuts!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:21 am:

I have had a LOT of stickers on my enclosed trailer over the years.

One of my favorites was " Bad Cop - No Donut ".

I was pulled over twice because of that sticker
and told my humor " was not appreciated ".

Usually I hear that from women ... :-)

I do not have that particular sticker on my current trailer ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:25 am:

I do know for a fact about 14 years ago that in the town of Lilesville Nc the 1 part time policeman was also on the maintenance crew for water lines.He saw a fellow speed thru the little town and knew where he lived so he just pulled his magnetic blue light out from under the seat and stuck it on top of the backhoe and went and gave the guy a ticket.

There was fellow tried to get away from the law locally and the highway patrol took off across the field in his New Dodge. Needless to say he made it almost a half mile out in the wheat field. Had to be drug out by 4x4 and took to the shop to get all the mud out from under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I can't remember the whole song, but it was about a southern sheriff in the 1950's. His big comment in the song was:"You might out run my Chevrolet, but you won't out run my old "Two Way!"

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Back in my younger days, the advise shared among my contemporaries was: "You can't out run Motorola".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:42 am:

You mean this one Joseph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OOOq8lgrzA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:55 am:

I once followed a car with a bumper sticker that looked just like the DARE drug abuse program sticker, but said, "DARE--Donut Abuse Reduction Enforcement Keeping Cops Off Donuts!"
I did wonder how much harassment that caused the driver, but it WAS funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

You might be able to outrun them on a national tour by hiding amongst the other black Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 04:45 am:

It'd be close....that tractor will do 30+ MPH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 07:08 am:

This is a long story with no moral. When I first licensed my 27 roadster I decided to license it with regular plates that needed to be renewed each year rather than the one time "horseless carriage" plates. I was trying to be a good citizen and not exploit the horseless carriage plates because I often use my T's as daily drivers and there are restrictions on the horseless carriage plates.

So, one day I decided to lose the turtle deck and put on a P.U. box. After I had done this I was driving down the road one day when I saw a cop parked along side the road. As I passed him I got a strange feeling that he was going to pull me over for having a commercial rig (pickup) licensed as a passenger car. Why I thought that, I have no idea, but I did. So, I decided to ditch him. I turned at the next street into a residential area and fast as I could, I began weaving through different residential streets to try to lose him. At some point I got into a cul-de-sac and sure enough, here he comes with his lights a-blinkin'. He gets out and approaches. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" "No, officer, I certainly wasn't speeding!" "No, I pulled you over because your pickup is licensed as a car, that is not allowed." I explained the turtle deck swap. He suggested that I license the rig as a horseless carriage and then I could swap to my heart's content. I told him that I used it daily travel and I didn't think it was right to use horseless carriage plates that way. He said "hogwash, no cop will give you hard time".

So, I licensed it as a horseless carriage (that was about 35 years ago), and have never been given a hard time by the cops.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't ditch a cop in a Model T. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration