Questions about spring perch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Questions about spring perch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:07 am:

First I would like to say thanks for all the helpful advice. Everyone has asked why change the spring perch? They were turned 180 degrees out to install coil spring/shocks. I am changing it back to just leaf spring. thanks again David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:57 am:

David, you can continue on your previous thread if you like (but it's of course OK to start a new also :-) )

If the spring perches were moved from left to right, you may correct that by just flipping the axle, since it's symmetrical. You must take out the king pins and swap the spindles, though, since they're left and right. (RH thread on the left side spindle and LH thread on the right side spindle)

Just turning a perch with a bar in its hole (if needed) is much easier than getting them out, so if you can avoid pulling them, do. The acetylen/oxygen torch may still be needed..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Hi David,

I am compelled to disagree with the suggestion that you can mearley rotate your front spring perches to obtain their correct orientation. I infer that you are removing Hasseler springs from your '25 roadster. If you look at the perches, you will see that the boss on the perch is on the rear half. This boss must always face the rear. The perches come in a right and a left. The tilt of the axle is provided by those perches and mixing them will cause a problem.

If you look at the attached link, you will see that the Hasseler instructions state to swap the perches from side to side; NOT to rotate them.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/373650.html?1373670300

I hope that this helps. Safety is paramount. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Bill:

There are two methods to accomplish the same goal.

Yes, you can rotate the perches.

Just as Roger Karlsson explained above, you will then need to rotate the axle 180 degrees and then swap the spindles.

The above may be easier than forcing out the perches and swapping left to right and right to left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Hi Eric,

Well, you are correct! This dang Pneumonia has my head all messed up. I'll go back to sleep now. Diseased Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Sorry to hear you're under the weather Bill. Get better soon and enjoy this Holiday.
Regards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration