1926 Model T ( Roadster) pickup ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T ( Roadster) pickup ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I just bought a T pickup that I can't find a pick anywhere of another one like it . The story with it was it is 1-11 pulled from production an givin to firedeptments anyone out thier know anything about this ?
Please an Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Picture? Otherwise, how will we know if we have seen anything like it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:57 am:

These are pictures of 1927 roadster pickups. Largely identical to a '26 except for the headlight mounting method. The pickup in the lower photo has some sort of aftermarket wheels installed.

The 1926 - 27 roadster pickups were not too rare, with over 75 thousand sold in 1926 and over 28 thousand sold in 1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Ford did make a pickup in 1926 and owners of roadsters have removed the turtle back and replaced with a pickup bed. Unless we see a picture of yours we cannot determine what you have.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Sorry , working on that. have one on my cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Here it is

1926ModelT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Royce - I just love that dealership photo (I saw it when you posted it on the Christmas card thread earlier). Where did you find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Carnell,

That is a coupe that has been modified into a pickup. Looks like fun, not anything that Ford ever built or sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

It's a DIY home project, or at least an aftermarket adaptation. 1926 coupe with a pickup bed in place of the trunk. That's why you won't find many pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Ron,

Someone was selling an old post card on eBay and I saved a copy of the image a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Carnell - that is a homemade job. Someone cut the rear off a coupe and added the box (probably during the Depression or WWII). Pretty clean job from the picture. Some touring cars met the same fate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Richard Peterson in Pecatonica IL has/had a 21 coupe (pickup)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Thanks youall for the information. Makes sence now .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Carnell, Ford first made the model T pickup in 1925, so there were three years of pickups. The 1925 had a distinctive bed with the stake pockets up flush against the front. There were some minor differences between 1926 and 1927 models. The factory pickup was very similar to the roadster but instead of the bolted on turtle deck there was the bed. The model T bed had a fillet which closed the space between the front of the bed and the rear of the seat.

In 1927 the Los Angeles City Fire Dept. bought 6 of these to be used in the Santa Monica Mountains for fire supression and prevention purposes. They were a single fleet purchase and (unlike all other fire vehicles they painted red) were left Ford Commercial Green with Black fenders, aprons, running boards, fenders and radiator shell. The word "FIRE" was painted on the tank area of the shell and the rear of the vehicle (I'm not sure it was either on the seat or the tailgate). L.A.F.D. was painted on the doors.

These vehicles were called "Mountain Patrol Vehicles". Following is a photo taken in 1927 of an inspection of all the Mountain Patrol cars. The car on the left is the Cheifs touring car (Studebaker I think) and the one on the right is a roadster. The six in the middle are Mountain Patrol Vehicle Ford roadster pickups. Of especial interest is the running board mounted spare carrier which is very difficult to find today. Also the fleet purchases came with wooden wheels.

There is only one known Mountain Patrol Vehicle in existence today. In 1928 they were replaced with Model A Fords, none of which are known to have survived.

Following is a photo of the lone surviving 1927 L.A.F.D. Mountain Patrol Vehicle:

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

During WWII a commercial vehicle got more gas than a personal vehicle, unless you were a Dr. in a Dr.'s Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Carnell,

The photo you posted of your car seems a bit strange to me. It appears to be a "Photo-Shopped" photo of a Coupe with a Pickup bed pasted over the rear of the photo. The cut and paste had some problems; look at the straight vertical cut off at the rear of the coupe, the front of the 1925 pickup bed is similarly sliced to match seamlessly. Next someone cut off the radiator filler... hack saw or photo-shop cut?

Not long ago there was a car similar to this on e-bay. The photo looks like what someone might make up to see if they liked the esthetic results if they were to Frankenstein up such a vehicle.

There also seems to be some photo-shop patching of the turf in front of the car.

If I read your posts correctly you were looking in your phone for a photo of your car... are you saying that the photo you posted is one taken of your car?

Respectfully submitted, Terry Horlick

(Message edited by thorlick on December 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Terry,
I think that's just the angle of the photo--the coupe body would be wider than the P/U bed, so ti would look cut-off. And it looks like, yes, the radiator is missing its cap, but it looks like the radiator filler neck is what's sticking out of the shell.
What would be interesting would be a photo from the rear showing how the "union" was made. They may have just shoved the bed into the opening where the turtle deck started, or they may have actually finished off the area. My vote is for just cutting the body, shoving the bed in and they were done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

David, why saw off the front of the bed? Once you do that why cut off the back of the coupe? Filler still looks cut off to me. I still don't believe it is a real car photo. The seller may have used this rendering and built it... I would like to see the actual photo.

Remember I.M.H.O., T.H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I got this one - 26 T coupe became a 5 window pickup cab...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Terry,
I"m not certain the bed front is cut off--on the '25 roadster p/u, bed the fenders sit pretty far forward, and the side post pockets are back from the front a ways. I think they just shoved the bed up against the seat back--but then, what do I know?
Russell--That looks like a pretty clever modification!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Maybe Carnell will clear it up for us.

Russell, that is a good way to do it! Like it was mentioned above, you should be able to come up with plenty of leg room for a tall driver.

Look behind the 5 window cab in Russell's photo, that is what a coupe looks like! Good framing for that photo!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I saw it from the beginning...2 photo's merged into one. This post would be better on April fools day.

My grandfather did once have a Model A coupe with the trunk lid and lower section removed and a box built out the back. That is how they would have done it, not cut the body off and no hack saw could make that cut so perfect. The rear quarters would be all bent up and filler metal would have it all warped from welding and no reflective paint would be there.

Fake all day long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Stan's work on the photo makes it look a bit more possible. If it is cut like that he did a really good job in keeping it all straight. I would love to see a rear 3/4 photo to see how it was done.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

You can see that the bed goes a ways in front of the rear fender. That home brew pickup had to have both the bed and the body cut unless the bed ran inside the rear of the body.

IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Men , I'm telling you no fake , will take so pics from the rear an share . Like I said just bought this vehicle I'm a car guy but no knowledge of Model Ts . It's real whatever it is . An well done not a chop job .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

It is cut into the cab ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Looking forward to more pictures Carnell. Some posters go overboard trying to be helpful and come off as being rude and insensitive. Enjoy your new T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 07:41 am:

I agree with you Gary 101%, I really think posters have good intentions and are very knowledgable. I am still in Carnel's Model "T" School, but am I learning FAST. MTFCA has been extremely helpful, I couldn't begin to thank these guys enough. We all started out at the bottom not knowing. My first Model "T" was a Runabout converted to a Roadster PU. I got probably double ($$$) into it more than what it's worth. Can't quit now, too much time and money invested. Wished now I knew about the classifieds/forum BEFORE I went head over heels into it. Bottom line, you MTFCA guys have been extremely helpful and lieniant with my lack of knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Here are some more pics

Rear:
pic1
Rear driver side:
pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:30 am:

I like it a lot! Nice troupe Carnell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Well I sure didn't believe it by the side photo and will be the first to say I was wrong. Somebody had lots of skill and did a very neat job of it.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:37 am:

That's really cool! I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Carnell,

That is definitely a unique car! Excellent workmanship! I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

It is definitely not a fleet purchase fire department car... Much too nice to be in that category.

Terry Horlick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Stan Howe, are you trying to make a point by blurring my pictures and reposting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Boy, no good deed goes un-punished!

I suspect Stan was trying to help by increasing the brightness of your pics to see if it would expose more detail in the darker areas.

I have found by trial and error that when you increase the overall brightness of a pic, it also helps to increase the contrast at the same time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carnell leaon moore on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Ok , sorry didnt understand that he was doing that . I do thank you all for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Neat! Looks like a very enjoyable model T. The unofficial first Ford Ranchero?
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

"I suspect Stan was trying to help by increasing the brightness of your pics to see if it would expose more detail in the darker areas."

I thought he was compensating for cataracts ;O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Where is the delete tab? I will be happy to remove them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Is there any space behind the seat on a coupe (or pick up) like this?

I like it!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Carnell -

We're not always (rarely?) subtle on this forum but it is unusual to get comments meant with ill will. When they do happen it's almost always blatant and between characters who have been here a good amount of time and are well known.

You have a very interesting Model T and while almost certainly not produced like that by Ford, it remains interesting and appreciated. Many Model T's morphed from Henry's initial design to fulfill the needs or interest of the owners. Some of those were hatchet jobs and some were very well executed. Yours seems to fit in the later bucket. I'd drive it proudly if it were mine.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

It may not be Kosher; but I like the coupe/ pickup. It makes perfect sense to me. I would like that combo. It would make the " as Henry made it" not sleep very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I like, looks like it will be fun to run errands with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Darn nice car you have there. Carnell, just get her out and have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Carnell,
That's very well-done, and as I suspected, uses the P/U bed with the moved-back stake pockets.
However, There is way too much orange peel on that paint, you should save yourself a lot of trouble and just drop it off here; I will make certain it gets to T Monk and his Monastery, where it will no longer offend anyone. I'm happy to do this at no charge to you, just to save you from the T Malady!
D. Dewey, for T Monk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Looks like the first Ranchero prototype! I also like it. Enjoy your vehicle!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Druther have that than a roadster pickup, but I'm in Bellingham DS

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration