He said "This is a '23 TT"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: He said "This is a '23 TT"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Came across a fella who claimed this was a '23 TT. Having the squared off body & quarter windows and never seen the like before, my real question is whether this was really just an altered coupe body? The bed/box looks too long for being a pick-up.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Well, that's one closed-cab TT that might actually have some leg room in it! :-)
(Yes, it's a cut-off coupe 'cab' someone else will have to give you the year. And the bed looks TTish.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Often done in the days before Ford offered a body on the TT chassis. I remember my father having a TT chassis with a 1915 runabout body on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Looks like Ford was the first to have an extended cab truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Marv, what these guys said. The bed is a TT "Express" body. Sometimes they would have screen sides and a top. Very interesting truck. That would make a really nice project for someone. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

As David said, the bed looks TTish. But it is odd. That coupe body would take up more space behind the firewall than a TT closed cab, so if it is a TT bed its mounted further to the rear than it ordinarily would be, and yet the fenders are located over the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

There was one just like that on both CL and EBay about a year ago. It was up in Maine. Really wanted it, but missed the bid on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I believe those are TT radius rods on the rear but are not hooked up to the drive shaft. Car wheels on the rear. I think it is a extended car chassis myself. If someone else's photo soft ware is able,zoom in on the rear axle.

the front running boards are short which would point towards TT. But the frame does not look TT, it looks like a car chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Looks like a put together truck to me. I have to agree that the frame doesn't look like a TT frame. If there is a title for it I wonder whats on it and what year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

The body is a '19-'23 Coupe with the turtle removed, and it appears to be a later TT bed. I think it's a TT chassis, but it's difficult to say since part of what we need to see is underneath the truck in shadow. It could be an extended car frame, but it looks like a TT rear end. I'm guessing TT chassis with the car body added. Whether it's a car or truck frame, its length could have been altered to suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

I saw the photo with his trailer. The guy said the title identified it as a '23 Ford Truck. When he said "TT", (and thinking of my Dad's TT), I couldn't get the images in my mind to match up. Suicide doors tell me '23 or earlier, running board length says 'truck', the squared-off body, and bed-length/overhang seems strange. He says he was primarily interested in the title to build a '23 T-Bucket hot rod... When I inquired back to him (a week later) about purchasing the rest of it, he had already sold it, but didn't want to say 'who' he had sold it to since it was a business deal. It just made me wonder...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

I think that the frame actually is TT. The rear wheels do appear to be car but the 23" TT rears sometimes can look like car wheels particularly in a fuzzy photo. The bed is an express bed as is stated above which the front fenders were moved ahead on. You can see a notch on the forward end of the inner edge of the fender. This notch should line up with the center brace on the bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

It is obviously the first F150 Super Cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Walter,
If it's a TT chassis doesn't that make it the first F350 Super Cab? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Probably another goofy contraption someone put together in the early '70s. It's certainly nothing Ford built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Built in the 70's ??? I'd say built back in The Depression. T's were a dime-a-dozen and when
you needed a truck and were dirt poor ..... I've seen lots of old cobbed-together trucks from
the 30's where cars and/or parts piles were cut down and made to get a job done. When I began
to get serious about a T-era truck, I actually wanted some old cut down 20's Cadillac, Hudson, or
Packard that got the "Farmer Brown treatment" in The Depression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 01:20 am:

To me, it definately looks like a TT that was built back in the day. Mounting a roadster body on a TT was pretty common, and cutting down a coupe or sedan body was pretty common for building a pickup. Don't see why using a coupe body on a TT would be much of a stretch. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 04:30 am:

I like it! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 05:10 am:

Here's another TT with a cut off coupe body - this one a 24/25 style: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/409785.html?1387851273

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

No splash aprons to the running boards... I don't recall any TT's to originally have them, but please correct me if I'm wrong. (After all, "I never make mistakes. Thought I did once, but I was wrong!")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

You're correct Marv. No splash aprons on TT's, at least not from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Marv,
So does your posting indicate it's now a hot rod? That would be a shame, such a unique piece of "Yankee Ingenuity."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

This subject points up why I like trucks and really don't have any interest in the cars .... Sure, the
cars are cool, but they are limited to X-number of flavors and so much emphasis is put on restoring
them "just so".

Trucks, on the other hand, were pretty much cob-jobs and basket cases from Day One, and in our
restoration perspective, it seems the more "character", the better ! This one is a real botch job of mish-
mashed components, and yet it is just that much more cool because of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 12:55 am:

David - My understanding is that he had kept the title to use for a hot rod, and sold the rest. Supposedly, it went to a guy down around Fond du Lac, which is about 80 miles south of me. He would not give me any contact information.

Burger - The TT's do present a different, yet classy 'attitude' than the cars. I feel very fortunate to have "My Dad's Legacy" also out in my shop.... The One-Ton '26 steel stake-bed, much like photos I've seen of your TT.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Marv,
Interesting, so he kept an original car's paperwork to title a Hot Rod. No wonder the DMV offices are suspicious of us.
A Hot Rod should get an Assembled Car title!!!! This is one of my pet peeves, sorry!
I think it's weird he won't give you any info on who purchased it, maybe he's afraid of anyone re-titling the truck using the original numbers???
Well, thanks for sharing the pictures, looks like it would have made a great truck/survivor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:03 am:

Marv, I'm with David here. That sounds a bit odd. Why would he not want to give you the buyers info. If the buyer didn't want everyone asking him about the truck, all he had to do was tell the guy that bought it for the title to forward him any inquiries. If he didn't want to respond, that would be up to him. Strange. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:04 am:

I still think that is a cool truck, I hope it isn't parted out. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:56 am:

David D. is spot on about the (supposed) title information. Most of the folks at the DMV's don't know squat about old cars and something like this comes along and really makes their head spin.
In reality the supposed truck? in question is really an assembled vehicle and would fall in that category. But who at the DMV would know that. Unless you told them??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Why all the negativity about this vehicle? The entire time that Ford was producing that Coupe body style, the were also offering the TT as a chassis only. Ford didn't start selling the TT with a cab until '24. The fact that someone opted to install a Coupe body, perhaps when the the TT chassis was new., shouldn't be a problem for us today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Obviously it's an assembled vehicle and through experience I can tell you even if it was Factory built most DMV's wouldn't have the foggiest notion. From what I've read here concerning the possible use of the paperwork by the seller is just another reason not to buy a car without a title. Hope the buyer knows the situation clearly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Eric,
I don't see negativity about the truck, just curiosity about its creation. I think we all like it, actually! Anyone who has driven, or sat in a "factory" TT will tell you that it's mighty cramped quarters, and it teaches you great posture, with much pain, IMHO! :-) (in fact, I'm considering letting my TT C cab project go, as I'm just too big for it! Oh, I could go on a diet. . .)
The coupe, OTOH has much more leg room and comfortable seating, so. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

If the price was right a way to solve this curiosity is to turn it into a Coupe pickup. There is an earlier thread about a 26 Coupe that was turned into a pickup.

The Coupe body looks to be fairly decent. Mount it own a car frame and add a T pickup bed to it.

Use as much of it to go with the transformation and sell the rest.

Redoing it this way would make a neat Coupe that you could drive and have more value in the long run.

My very humble opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

I've considered but never acted on putting a TT together from pretty much scratch. Of course I'd want to start with a titled basket case, then go from there so title and registration would not be a problem. It would be mechanically the equivalent of showroom new, have a roadster body cab, a Ford TT express bed, a new Warford, Ruckstell, high speed rear end gears, Bennett Brakes, exhaust cut-out, and whatever else I might think of along the way.

Of course the problem is that I'd probably spend $30,000+ to build a $10,000 truck that purists would laugh at. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:47 am:

That is one neat looking truck.
Good vision of space as well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration