Old Photo - W&S Service Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - W&S Service Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:31 am:

They must sell a lot of ice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:43 am:

In those days people had ice boxes instead of refrigerators. The ice came in blocks about one foot cubes.

My mother had an ice box and we had an ice man who came by every day or every other day. When she wanted ice she hung a sign in the window. If you wanted ice in between ice man's visits, you could buy it at stores or gas stations.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Hopefully the ice men were more efficient than these guys! :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCK8lGWhWeE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

You put a card in the window, about a foot square, each side listed a quantity, you put the side up that you wanted (1 block, 2 blocks, etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 01:29 am:

I want to know when, where, that picture was taken, and what color that T is. It looks like a "24 coupe. But it definitely is not black.
great photo! Thanks all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 04:21 am:

We had a Dairy Maid here in the late 50's through the late 70's that had an ice house much like the one in the picture, but was about half as big. They sold a lot of block ice, mostly to campers that were camping at Big Lake, the local State Park. When the bagged ice came in, that was the end of that. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 04:24 am:

John Lemon, see what I mean about painting T's different colors? Whatever the owner wanted was done. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

My dad had an ice machine just like that one. It made ice in blocks and cubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

OT, Sorry, anybody know how to get on HAMB site to buy parts? Thank you, Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

HAMB site is part of jalopy journal on fordbarn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Thank you, Michael G. My problem is filling the blanks to sign in, can't seem to make it work. Thanks Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Every man had a wife and the ice man had his pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Norman and Dave mentioned signs to put in a front window telling the ice man how much ice to bring in, here are a couple examples.
ice1 ice2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

David Sullivan

Do you belong to an organized Model t group? I have wondered if there was one in the Snohomish, Skagit or Whatcom county area. I'm in the south Snohomish county area.

just askin.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:53 am:

The HAMB site is separate from the FordBarn. You need to register to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 12:43 am:

BCG. don't think there is one here, but I'm not a real T guy,ask Steve Pitts. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration