Falcon 9 Lands!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Falcon 9 Lands!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

She went up and came back down in one piece! This is a start of something new. Although I dont think Im in any hurry to go for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Neat Stuff!
Here's a Link

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/spacex-orbital-rocket-land s-florida-elon-musk/421584/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Possibly the world's first practical rocket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

With all the constant babble about carbon emissions and such, I wonder how such
a massive blast of fuel ranks in terms of putting CO into the atmosphere ? Do rockets
put out much offending gas ? If so, does the media pass on covering it ? I don't think
I have ever heard this question asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

The byproduct of LOX and Hydrogen is water. Don't start banning water.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 12:10 am:

You bring up a good point ... and thanks for the good intel, ...

Yesterday some ding decided to drive down the sidewalk along the Vegas strip and
mow down 30-some pedestrians. Today, I noticed not a single media venue, nor the
perennial speaker-outer, Mr. O'bama himself, speaking about about more restrictive
vehicle laws, more thorough background checks, or whether the perp legally obtained
the vehicle.

Clearly, we need more car laws so that crazies will start respecting laws and assume
their personal responsibilities as citizens.

Yeah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 06:55 am:

My wife and I went to the beach to watch it. It was an amazing fireball in the sky. Burger that fruitcake that killed those people was all over on the news on this side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 08:10 am:

For many years I could not understand the space program and still think some of it is a total waste of money. But I really hated to see the space shuttle program stopped. The telescopes and such need maintenance.

"Do rockets put out much offending gas ?"

I doubt Algore is worried, he has the monopoly on that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:18 am:

This is a great example of not quitting and moving forward. Reminds me of how a guy named Henry Ford who came along and said to heck with those guys riding in buggies and wagons pulled by horses and mules. I'll build a carriage that will move on its own and everybody can own one.

This website is the result of a great idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:34 am:

You want to talk about emissions?

I wonder what it would look like if we all still had horses!

It is bad enough after a small parade.
Horses to the rear please. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Yea, those marching band uniforms are not so clean after the parade! Splat
What I notice about old pictures of towns back in the horse and buggy days,and even tv in movies, you never see a pile of horse biscuits or cow paddy's on the street or near hitching post. You would think a mans horse would be leaving a pile at the hitching post while he is in the bar or whatever.

And from what I remember as a kid filling up a wheelbar with a shovel,a horse drops quite a few biscuits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:57 am:

One will notice a lot changed over the years. Before 1933, the world was black and white.
Horses didn't poop, and it never rained. Just look at the old photos !

My job, from age 8 to 18, was to take care of the horses. From cleaning the stalls and corral,
to keeping the fences mended, to dealing with the hay and grain ... that was MY mission.
Moved many a load of biscuits in ten years ! Did it in color, AND it always rained (Seattle). Of
course, this was all after WW2 and these new things had become common practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I think privatizing space is best for humanity. Let the free market and competition drive innovation, get the government out.

Hats off to Elon Musk and everyone at spaceX. By the way did you notice that most of spaceX employees are under the age of forty?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Regarding emissions: From Wikipedia: liquid oxygen (LOX) and rocket-grade kerosene (RP-1) propellants.

So apart from water some CO2 I think too.

Regarding the space program - do not underestimate the spin offs still from these programs in our daily days :-)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

The U.S. uses solid rocket fuel exclusively.

We do not use kerosene-based rocket fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

This Forum is a by-product of the space program. The push the space program gave our technology so we could actually do it (get to the moon)is still doing stuff. I think it's a shame we gave up on the manned mission idea. We should already be on our way to Mars, but we can't even get back to the moon right now. IMHO, the shuttle program was shut down way too early.
But, what do I know?
I'm even stuck back on dial-up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Those who think that the space program is a wast of money should have to live with out the benefits of the space program. In the 60s, it was a long distance call to telephone to the next town, phone calls were limited to 3 minutes and we shared phone lines. Medical treatments were not much better than they were a century before and food preservation was little better. The use of GPS has the potential of saving as much energy used in the space program to date over the next few decades in the agriculture sector alone. But the most important thing is all the money spent on the space program stayed right here in the economy and provided jobs and education.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

A LOT of specialty welding rods came about as a direct result of the space program too. There were several different companies offering them through the '70's and '90's. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

I wish folks would stop prattling on about the imagined problems with CO2...it's CO you've got to worry about, not CO2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Otto Bettmann (1903-1998) collected old pictures and provided them to publishers. Many of the photos you see in history textbooks will be credited to Bettmann Archive. Bettmann once published an illustrated book called The Good Old Days: They Were Terrible. He covered all the least pleasant features of 19th and early 20th century life, including poisonous air long before the term SMOG came along, rampant diseases, carelessly handled sewage, and horse pollution. Horses not only left piles of their exhaust in the streets, but often died there and festered for several days until the dead wagon could come and haul the rotting carcasses away. My aunt Mary Parker, born in 1897, recalled how when she was a little girl the men would go into livery stables to pee on the ground like the horses. The atmosphere became pretty ripe on warm summer days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

All modern day electronics started back with a need mainly due to the space and defense programs. With those government contracts companies where able to do the research and develop things faster than they would have came about with out them. Research they did in the early 60s to monitor men in space is still used everyday in all the hospitals. Spacelabs Medical is the company and while they are not the biggest monitoring company they are still around. Many of us owe our very life to this technology.
Robert Noyce is credited with starting the Silicon Valley phenomenon, his is an interesting story. There is a documentary on the start of Fairchild Semiconductor which is interesting if your into that sort of thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Noyce

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration