I just finished rewiring an Gen. Armature.
Beautiful work Toon!
Did you use varnished magnet wire?
Great, I have often thought to try but it seems like a lot of work.
I don't understand the odd number of commutator windings. I would need to take one apart to find the offset between the windings and the copper contacts, clearly more complex than I had thought..... Maybe I am getting old as understood all this nonsence in my late teens.....
Just see if I have understood the way the winding goes.
You start on the low level of number 12 on rotor contact ring and go to groove 15 in the rotor body than to groove 20, make 10 loops between groove 15 and 20. The end of the wire is attached on the high level of number 1. Next winding start low at 13 on the contact ring goes to 16 on the rotor body, make 10 loops between 16 and 21 on the body and is attached on 2 high of the contact ring and so on till all the winding are done.
Great job .
I need to try it
If you want to rewind them, get a copy of an old Lejay Catalog/manual. That will tell you more than you want to know about winding armatures.
Toon: Do not forget to get it dipped. Dan
^- wow very very impressed!
Very nice job.
I sent you a private email.
I found a reference to odd number of poles. It eliminates any null points in the magnetic field, probably useful for the third brush which provides the excitation. The initial voltage is generated by the magnetism in the stator. Once this starts to generate voltage, the third brush provides power to the stator winding, increasing the magnetic field. This increase continues until the output is limited by the battery. Incidentally, if the battery is not connected, the output voltage will continue to increase until it destroys the insulation. Then you have to rewind the commutator , just like Toon.
This is a fun thread, made me think back to first year in college days, including looking up old textbooks.