OT - from Premier to Ford to Lexington

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - from Premier to Ford to Lexington
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I enjoy learning about former Ford Model K owners, and the cars they owned prior to and after buying an early Ford.

Connersville Indiana is about twenty miles southwest of Richmond IN, or southeast of Indianapolis. E. D. Johnson was a wealthy resident of the city at the turn of the last century. In 1905, he is reported buying a Premier automobile:

In May, 1907, Mr. Johnson bought a Ford Model K:

Mr. Johnson's business interests included ownership in the Krell Auto-Grand Piano Company, located in Connersville:

This October 1909 news clip reports E. D. Johnson with others are purchasing Rutenber engines for auto manufacturing:

Johnson has obtained controlling interest in the Lexington Motor Car Company, moving the factory to Connersville. The company reports they will build 400 cars for 1910:

1910 Lexington:

As majority owner of Lexington Motor Car Co., I would expect the Ford Model K has gone by the wayside, and that E. D. Johnson would be driving one of the first 1910 Lexington Models. As with several Ford "K" owners, Mr. Johnson owned other early automobiles, and in this case, was a future manufacturer.

However, it looks as if Mr. Johnson didn't give up on his Ford six just because he owned another auto producing company, at least as of March, 1910:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 01:51 am:

"But one lamp was damaged in the accident." Built Ford tough.
Interesting connections.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Wayne, glad you read it. I'm impressed when I find a "K" owner who had other auto experiences, or kept the Ford for a period of time. In this case, Mr. Johnson was wealthy, had previous auto experience, and also invested in an auto company. Still, he chose to keep the lowly Ford :-) for a lengthy period of time.
Merry Christmas,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Any surviving Premier Automobiles that you are aware of? I know of a few Model K that survived.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration