Is a spindle washer necessary?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is a spindle washer necessary?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Is a spindle washer necessary?

I'm feeling cheap and prefer not to spend $30 on two washers if I don;t need one.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 08:00 am:

If it was unnecessary Ford would have done the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Yes, they're necessary.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:28 am:

I wouldn't want to spend $30 for two of them either. Lang's sells them for $1.05 apiece.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2709.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:32 am:

I think many T:ers may have good used ones extra.. Maybe someone close by can sell you a couple cheaper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:40 am:

I've passed them up at swap meets in the bottom of junk boxes you see folks bring on their trailers. Over the years I saved them along with decent wheel bearings and races.
I try to save all useable T parts when I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Thanks! I was under the impression I was suppose to have the $30 washer for the early car / 1912.

$1.5 works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:50 am:

This made me curious, so I looked into the catalogues from Birdhaven, Bob,s, Chaffin's, Lang's, Mac's, Snyder's, and Smith & Jones. Lang's is the only one that shows a special washer for "a better fit" for the early spindles. All the others show only the standard washer for all years, and Lang's also lists the standard 2709 washer for all years. All of them sell the standard washer for about a buck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Perhaps "Original Smith" can enlighten us? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Lange's told me the $16 washer is for older cars with newer tapered roller bearings??? (So I bought them.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I looked at Langs catalog, he is talking about the thinner spindle washer used when installing roller bearings instead of the ball bearings. If you are using ball bearings it's not needed. If you are using roller bearings, I would do a trial fit and file or sand down a standard washer to fit as needed, if needed. Next choice would be get everything fitted and make the nut slot deeper that the cotter pin hole lines up with as needed. An 1/8 inch round file should work. The spindle washer help keep the outer bearing from turning in setup when you put the nut on and acts as a lock along with the cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

I found a Model A spindle washer at a local auto parts store. It is nowhere near $15. I bought it and thought I would need to grind it down because the outer diameter is larger then the T washer, but it still clears the hub so I used it as is. This washer is just a little extra assurance that the nut and bearing threads will not spin while you are driving. They are made to spin in the direction which would remove the wheel from the car if they should spin. That notch and tab on the washer keeps things in place.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration