Cast Cam on a TT Hand Brake

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cast Cam on a TT Hand Brake
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

A nice visit with Dave Stroud had me coming home with this TT hand brake shaft. Is the cast cam an early TT assembly or an after market replacement? The cars stopped using the cast brake cam before the trucks were introduced. Those long TT cams did have a tendency to bend, based on the ones I've seen. Has anyone seen another one of these, or any thoughts?

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Show 'em the wheels Rich, and see what they think. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

My '18 TT with a May 1923 engine has a stamped cam. I'm thinking that cast cam is an early unit, but it's a guess. I can't imagine why anyone would go to such significant work to install an aftermarket cam when a stock cam works just fine and its out of sight. My money is on the assumption it's an early unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Oh no, now I have to look for one of those!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I've been messing with T's and TT's since 1964 and this is the only one I've seen. Found it just as it is in a pile of parts in the late 90's. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Maybe the ratchet being upside-down has something to do with it? Probably not, just the rod installed wrong after it was removed from a truck years before.
????
Thank you for sharing the photo!
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Wayne, I never noticed that! I always just looked at the forged cam. Interesting. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Good eye. The pull rod was dangling loose and a bit bent so I just temporarily stuck it in the pawl not worrying if it was oriented correctly or not.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:45 am:

Rich, maybe that's why it was removed in the first place and they didn't want to fix it at the time? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:53 am:

I have one also. I picked it up thinking that it was for an early car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Well,that makes two that I've heard of for me! John, is it made just like the one Rich has? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:57 am:

I like it! One of those would have saved me from doing the reinforcement job on my smashed one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

I also have one of those out in my iron pile. I was always curious about it, but never did any research. Now I have to look at mine and see if its the same. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration