'24 Tudor height issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '24 Tudor height issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Hi, I have a '24 Tudor that is about 79-80" tall at its highest point. I just squeaks into my garage. I also have a secure carport next to my garage that is slightly lower so the Model T will not go under it. Can I remove the demountable wheels and just run it under the carport on the rims ?? Its a concrete floor and I could cut some strips of plywood to run in in on. Will this hurt the wheels to do this maybe once or twice a year ?? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Curtis...Atlanta,Ga on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

I have considered doing the same thing to get my '24 Coupe in my enclosed trailer. Anyone tried it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

I did have a TT truck many years ago, and did tour with it some. The only way in and out of the garage with it was by removing the rear rims and tires. It worked. The low speed and short distance did not damage the wheels. But it was sure a pain in the wazoo every time I wanted to go for a short drive. It also did wear some slight grooves in the concrete.
The heavier wheels did make them less prone to damage.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Any other opinions on this ??? Thanks, Bruce Kile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:24 am:

It sounds like you're only going to move it a little over 1 car length without the tires. I can't imagine you'd hurt anything, particularly if you put down plywood or even just some heavy cardboard. I'm not sure I'd try to move it under power, maybe just push it in and out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:27 am:

My father did this in a low ceiling garage, he put a big piece of old carpet down on the floor top avoid marring the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

If the ceiling is taller once you get it inside the car port (garage for other folks), you might consider the following. If you only need a little bit lower to get it in, I would suggest you consider picking up a set of ratchet ties such as the ones at: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-ft-x-1-1-4-in-Ratchet-Tie-Downs-4-Pack-480606-12/202340309 . Those have a 700 lb working load limit. Put some rags around where they will be connected over the frame and under the axles and lower the car by compressing the springs evenly. If the hooks cause a problem because they are too long, you can make them take up less space by putting the hook end through the eye of the other hook (I'm using the eye as the round part of the hook that the strap is fastened to.) Or make it even shorter by placing a large bolt with washers through the eyes of both straps.

If it was just a 1/2 inch you needed to lower it, I might even leave the springs compressed a 1/2 inch but I would not leave them compressed much more than that for any length of time. You would not need to remove the straps while the car was in the carport -- just loosen them. Then re-tighten the straps when you want to move the car back out. Remove the straps before driving the car.

For those that might need even more drop in height you can bolt smaller wheels and tires to a spare set of T front and rear hubs. (The modern donut spare or 10 inch trailer wheels and tires both available used -- you don't plan to drive on them.) Caution the transmission drain plug is low and I donít know what the smallest size you can put front and back and not have the drain plug hit things etc. Below was Vic Patterson's solution to get his Closed Cab TT in through the low door (Thank you Vic for posting that.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

I'd go after the carport with a cut-down header. A lot less trouble when you want to take it out for a spin. Changing wheels sounds like a pain in the old rear end. After you cut the carport header reinforce it with a piece of angle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Henry Ford built his first quadricycle too wide to fit through the door of his shop and had to remove bricks from the wall to get it out, so this problem is nothing new. I'm with Kevin. A little one-time work improving the carport would save a lot of continuing hassle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration