Model A hubs on a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model A hubs on a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I have a set of Model A wire wheels I've been thinking about adapting to a speedster. The A to T adapter plates are pushing $600.

Google search resulted this statement from the HAMB "Curt you can use Model A front hubs on the T....but the T spindle is a 1/2" too long.
make a 1/2" spacer the put it on the spindle,then your hub. or cut a 1/2" off the end of the spindle. The rear A Hub will work on the T also...but Ive forgoten what you have to do.
Go over to the MTFCA site,all the info is there."

Anybody done this? Is this true? What is involved in using the rears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

I've done it. The fronts are an easy switch. Basically just shorten the spindle. The hubs look better if you cut the brake drums off, although you don't have to.

The rears are more problematic. The taper of the axle is the same, but the diameter is not. The A axles are larger. So, to use an A rear hub requires a rather thick axle shim. Much thicker than the kind made to shim up loose hubs. Also, a good deal of machine work is required to make the T brake drums work with the A rear hubs.

For the rears I would adapt T wood wheel hubs to fit the A wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Bought 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 wheel spacers center them and drill the wood wheel hub bolt up tight back fill the space with resino
If you want add the support ring you need when running juice brakes on an A
I put A wires on my TT FOR AROUND $60 a wheel

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration