Trailer Winch for '26 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Trailer Winch for '26 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Perkins on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

What are best locations to secure winch line to car when winching onto a utility trailer? Is front or back of vehicle best? Is there a winch brand that is best for this purpose? I know the weight of the car is about 1,700 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Mark,

This topic was recently discussed here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/588459.html?1449983305

As far as winch brands go, the Harbor Freight Badlands winch brand gets great reviews, even from those in the off-roading community. They're priced right. I recently bought a 5,000lb rated winch for around $200.

The rating you need depends on the rolling weight of your vehicle, in this case 1,700lb., and the slope of your trailer ramps. The link below has a good table which will help you determine what is best. I would go bigger than you need, if possible. The smaller winches usually have a poor duty cycle rating which means you won't be able to pull as long before you have to stop to let the motor cool down. You'll find that the price difference between a 1,500lb. winch and a 3,000lb. or even a 5,000lb. winch is minimal.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-electric-winch.aspx

(Message edited by Dan B on December 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Perkins on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Can the winch power come from the outlet that I have in the back of my SUV, or does it have to come directly from the batter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Mark,

You're better off mounting a separate battery on the trailer for winching. The 12 V circuit on your trailer plug is probably only fused at 20-30A, which is not enough for the draw of the winch. You can however use the 12V aux power from your trailer plug to maintain the winch battery as you're going down the road.

Your other option is to run battery cables from your truck battery back to your winch, but this is expensive, will require a means to disconnect power when not winching, and will drain your starting battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I bought a 3000 pound wench from xAmazon.com. More than enough to pull my T's. The same wench was at our farm and home store but considerably cheaper. I run it off of a riding lawn mower battery. Hook the cable on the front spring.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration