Opinions wanted on size design pics

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Opinions wanted on size design pics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Ok I thru this box together the other day to test out it's size. It is made out of 3/4" plywood recycled from used matierial I had around. It's ONLY purpose is to have a better idea if I have is sized right. I have the wood p.o. box plans that John reproduces and Langs sells. I used this as a starting point and it's not that it's a bad box I'm going a little different route.
What I want in the way of comments here is simple, g o 've me input on how it size wise relates to the rest of the car. One thing I did was shortened it up a little bit as I have a hitch and will Finnish up tail light's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

The original box was a little longer but I prefer the shorter box with the resulting less overhang.
JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

I like the shorter box too.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:13 am:

I personally think it looks better aesthetically
not being even with the end of the rear fender, if it were mine i would add another 12-16"...but that's just me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:21 am:

The question is, 'Will Julie fit in the back?'

If she doesn't fit you need to make it longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:36 am:

I like it shorter too.
But if it was up to me, I'd make it just a tad longer than yours, 3 or 4 inches, maybe.
Otherwise, I'd leave it as it is now. Looks practical.
I wish it was a choice I was making....I'd love a T pick-up.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on December 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:41 am:

Personally, I think it is too short. I've seen other short pickup boxes and TT beds and they just look out of proportion to me because the original ones had the long overhang. I like the longer, original style boxes, simply because that is the way they were made back in the day. Besides, you can scale a bigger load! <g> Whatever you do Jerome, that is going to be nice rig. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:14 am:

I agree that you will find it just a little TOO short. Add about 8" to 12", you won't regret it!
If you want to get fancy, extend the side boards to fit against the body back, many aftermarket companies did that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:17 am:

I think it is too short too. I believe I made mine about 54" in front to back length, I don't remember if that corresponds to the plans.

Dimensionally if it was a little shorter in height, it might make the current length look alright. But what ever you choose to do, it is a T and you can't go wrong with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:51 am:

We had a short box on our 22 bitza. I like the look vs long overhang

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:00 am:

I think it needs a longer box for the proportions. I know you said you have a hitch but I would haul stuff more than I'd drag it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Nice looking truck. I assume it is a 23-25 model. I measured my original 25 box and found the inside is 57" long, 41" wide and from the very back of the rear fender to the back of the box is 15". I too suggest you use the longer box as it is a better proportion to the over all length of the truck. Good luck with your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Yea, I too think it's too short. Later today I'll move the box back 4" and 8", and post the pics. The width seems a hair too wide to me at 37" outside. The sides are 10" outside and are ok. The flair boards are ok at 4.5" but needs too be spaced out, as these have no bracket-no gap,
Dave, there is enough room for Julie now but with a little more leg room I might not hear as many complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Great roadster pickup project :-)

I built my primitive pickup without thinking about where to place a spare rim..
Then after driving it for a while I considered the alternatives - and below the bed was the best place - though the bed was about 5" too short to fully cover a rim - so now my spare rim sticks out 5" from and acts as a rear bumper ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Should be about 6" longer in my opinion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Looks awkward and too short to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:54 am:

I personally think the best proportions will be found when the total length of the box is centred over the rear axle.

Whatever you end up going with, you have a great looking little truck there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:00 am:

One issue to watch for is to make sure that the box isn't so tall that it interferes with the top when the top is folded down. Eyeballing it, your mockup is close, but should be OK. :-)

pic01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Jerome, nice truck but I think it would be too short to haul a couple "White Landrace" hogs to town to sell at the stockyard on Saturday like me and my Papa would do back when I was around five... I like it anyway... Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:39 am:

I too like the length. The only thing I'd ask about is weather it's possible to french in the sides so the conform to the rear of the cab body. it's the first thing I noticed on the top pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Jerry -- The Ford steel ones always look too long to me, but I think yours is too short. The aftermarket wood ones from back in the day were in between. I rebuilt this one from a 20's original, and it's 52" long. I'd be glad to send you other measurements if you like.

bed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 10:26 am:

To short. I like the way you are doing this. Most people would just build it, spend a lot of time and money and then stand back and look at it and wished they would have done it different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I would make it a little longer but keep the height. Right now it looks a little out of proportion. When I built my huckster it started out about 12 inches longer then it is now and later I dropped the top about 4 inches. It's still a little too narrow but looks a lot better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

I think it looks a little too short also.

We have a stock '26 Roadster Pickup and the overhang is a little too long. That said, we carry a lot of stuff in it. We carry 2 or 3 "bag" folding chairs, a box with oil, water, paper towels, hand cleaner, etc., and other stuff too. Our stock size box is nice and roomy for all of this.

We also have a trailer hitch & it's a modern type with a 1" square receiver. We pull a T era trailer with it and it works good.

Our spare tire is under the box in the rear and doesn't stick out at all. The whole thing works quite nicely.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

If that's the quality of work you do on a "throw together to check the size" project, then whatever you end up with will certainly be a work of art!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Ok, here are e photo's, box is set rearward e, 6, and 9 inches. Of you build a box to center it over the axle the box will be 46 or 47 inches long. That is right where the first photo is. The 33rd photo is close to the 52" length and is a 55-45 ratio of set back to the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

1st choice No 2 2ed choice No3. Think about what you will be hauling in it, will it fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

I like your second pic the best as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Keep in mind it's a Model T p.o. not a truck. I'm going for looks, does it look good. I won't be going to Home Depot and picking up sheet of plywood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

#2 for me, followed by 3 then 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Pics 2 is barely long enough. Pic 3 is a little too long.

Go for 7-1/2"

*< : ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

I'm with the "too short" guys. 2nd pic is the most pleasing to my eye. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

PS Doing a "mock up" was a great idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

I'm punting for no 3. I would make the flare sides separate from the box sides, so they can be used as tie rails. That way you can at least stop stuff moving about in the back.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

#2 is the most aesthetically pleasing, to me anyway......And what Allan said about separating the sides from the box.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Thanks for all the input. My plans now will be to finalize the size to a length of 50" which is almost dead on with the second picture with the 6 inch set back. The slides will be dropped an inch and a half and there will be a 2 inch riser underneath as part of the way it mounts. The gap at the front will be filled in and one inch will be taken out of the with. Should have pictures to post in a couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing pics of the final product. I second your earlier comment about having a gap between the side boards and the bed, mine have a gap and it makes for a handy place to loop bungee cords or other tie-downs. :-)

For some reason, my side boards are horizontal, rather than at 45 degrees. From the pictures that the previous owner took during the restoration in 2008, apparently they've been that way a long time. The horizontal boards do make a handy place to lay tools and other things (temporarily).

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Sorry to add this late-I was away for Christmas. Here is a photo of mine. It's an original. It measures 55" long. It is 33 1/2" wide on the inside. The sides are 6 1/2" tall, and 12" tall with the flare. The measurement for overhang is 27 1/2" from the center of the rear axle to the back of the tailgate. The taillights stick out beyond that. I'll see if I can find any photos of the rear, or I can take them if it would help. Or, I'll just plan to bring the car to the clinic next month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Chris, thanks but the earlier T with the more upright seat sits more forward than the later T's. The distance from the center line of the axle forward is about 24" add that to your 27 1/2" and take that from your length and adding in the thickness for the material my seat sits back more than 2 inches than yours does. I've got my measurements set and would have it done by the end of next week if the weather stays dry. No snow here.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration