Torpedo steering column

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Torpedo steering column
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I am going to need to build a Torpedo steering column . I was watching the MTFCA CD by Fred Houston on the restoration of the steering column . He says you can get all the measurements to do this from the parts book that is on the on line library. I can't find the on line library. How can I find this information ? Thanks Perry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:58 am:

The online encyclopedia has a section on Steering columns showing the lengths of the different years and body styles. The vendors sell an extension you can weld to your existing column. For the shaft, I don't think there is a reproduction out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:56 am:

Perry I think Herb could build you one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I can build the column my self no problem . I bought a nice 1911 column , then when I bought the that Torpedo project up north . I got all the parts to build another one . Fred says the measurements like the gear post,column tubing and all other individual parts are on line . I just can't fine them .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm

Scroll down to the near the bottom and click on Steering column

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Never mind. I was thinking of someone else.

(Message edited by redmodelt on December 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Merely knowing a Torpedo column is 60" doesn't do it. You don't just add 4" to a standard column. The firewall is two inches further back and the column sits at an angle, therefore it's not an even split.

Without individual component measurements, the best you can do is work with the OAL and reverse engineer it using a lengthened steering shaft, measuring how much you need fore and aft of the firewall. I'm also going through this process right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

I thank the way to go about this is to mount the steering gear bracket to frame and the firewall all so . Then work it out from those two points . It would be better to have the measurements of the actual parts. I know that the angel is 15 degrees greater then the standard column .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration