Model T Invoice (November 1911)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Invoice (November 1911)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Gentlemen,
Royce Peterson sent me a copy of a invoice that has my 1911 touring on it. The invoice stated that the car was purchased by a dealership owned by A fellow named F.H. Rhodes in Esterville Iowa. Also on the invoice the town of Sprit Lake Iowa is mentioned.
I contacted Jay from California to ask him if he had any old photos of Ford dealerships in either town. He suggested that contact the chamber of commerce of each town and ask them.I did,but did not get any answers.
Are there any club members that live in the area that can help me. I would love to have a photo of the dealership where my car was sold.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:40 am:

The chamber of commerce cares about business today.
It might be better to contact historical societies in the two areas.
They are usually staffed by volunteers so a reply can be spotty.
Also you might get something from the libraries

(Message edited by Nhusa on December 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Here in Dallas the library has copies of the annual City Directories that were kept through the 1980's. They contain the name, address, and occupation of each city resident, and there is also a listing of every business that was present.

Not sure if Spirit Lake is a big enough place to have had such a thing but that is where I would start. The dealership's owner name(s) would be listed, as well as the address of the business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:59 am:

You might try the city clerk in Estherville: http://cityofestherville.org/

You could also contact the Emmet County Historical Museum: http://www.estherville.lib.ia.us/local-history/emmet-county-historical-museum

Or the newspaper: http://www.esthervillenews.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Northern Central Iowa Genealogy Society in Mason City Iowa would probably be your best bet. They're a helpful bunch and they've been together for a long time. They even have a book that traces the lineage of people like Moses and Abraham and some of those guys. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Peter; My cousin just retired from working at the courthouse in Estherville. She has lived there all her life, so maybe she can help. I will email her. Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Wow! What a great document to have for your car. Not many collectors can have that documentation, and in your case, well deserved! Merry Christmas to you and Mary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Mr. Rhodes must have had an interest in other ventures -- from 1891:

"A nice line of white goods just ceived at F. H. Rhodes & Co. re- Ladies please call and see our new line of fine laces and embroideries. F. H. RHODES ft Co."

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/458300/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Pete-
Cool stuff. Looks like F.H. Rhodes was a banker.
And it looks like Mrs. (Hattie) Rhodes was a mover and a shaker, too.

I sent you a bunch of links...

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Gentlemen,
You folks have sent me a lot of web sites to research. I will research them and respond with my findings.
THank you all and all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Peter,
Maybe this will help.

It appears the dealership of "Rhodes and "Ingervall" (or Ingervall and Rhodes, depending on the article) were the dealers in Estherville, IA. They had contracted for, and received a significant number of Model Ts for 1911:

The dealership also sold two other makes, Cole and EMF:

And according to this, the partnership dissolved in 1912, with Alfred Rhodes continuing with the sales room portion of the business:

Things I don't know: was Alfred related to F. H.? Was F.H. name on because his bank financed the I & R dealership?

Good hunting,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Rob-

I saw that, too. I thought I think Alfred was probably a different guy... but the Rhodes family had their fingers in a lot of different things. Even Mrs. F.H. Rhodes was a mover and a shaker!

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Rob,Keith,and Dick,
Thank you very much. I found the same information in the (The Horseless Age ) Publication.
I can not tie in F.H. Rhodes in the car business.
I found (Carl Ingvall) as a Machinist,207 North 6th Street Estherville Iowa. 1904-1912.
I found ( F.H. Rhodes) as a bank cashier in the Bank of Esterville at Esterville Iowa.1904-1911.
I think that ( Alford Rhodes) was F.H. Rhodes's brother.There was a funeral notice that mentioned their names.
Rob, will you email tha ads that you posted? I do not know how to get them from here.
I would love to get a photo of the Dealership building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

My cousin was busy over Christmas holidays; but she said they have a historical building full of memorabilia and she will look for any info in the next week or so. But she has never heard of the name Rhodes or the dealership??? Her family has been in the area since the 50ís and her husband farms just outside Estherville. I told her you were looking for any photos of the dealership. You have some pretty good leads from other members. Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Thank you Chuck. I emailed the Historical society,but have not heard any thing yet. Maybe they are off for Christmas!!
Rob,PLease email me a copy of your post of the ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Peter,
Send me your email address and I'll send what I have:
rob4holly@hotmail.com

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration