1925 steel bed question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 steel bed question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

I have what looks to be a 1925 T bed that some one had welded sheet metal to the bottom & put "skirts" on the side bottoms to put on a Model A truck.
It came detached with a 1929 closed cab pick-up I bought recently.
This bed is very strait & could be run in place of a turtle deck if the welded sheet metal was ground off.
Can anyone verify if I am correct about its year...& if it is a 1925 bed,what is bed this worth?
I'm not sure weather to hold onto it...or..to sell it.
Thank you for your help...Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Tom,
It definitely looks like an early '25 bed from what I can see in these 3 pics. there is a flange (skirt) on both sides of the bed to fasten it to the body. My bed is missing these, so I don't know just how they were fastened to the bed sides, but the ones I can see in the last pic look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

There are skirts on the sides underneath the curve of the bottom too.
Are these correct as well?
Any idea what I would ask for it if I were to sell it?
Thank you...Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Thew one thing I notice is, unless it's been welded up is the "kick out" for battery access in the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Yes...It has been cut & welded.
I am going to attempt to post the other 3 pics now....maybe it will show up better.
I have an old phone that takes low grade pics.
Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

It is indeed a '25 bed, in need of a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Since the bottom of my bed is missing, I can't be 100% certain of what I see there, but I think the cross-braces are correct, as by the time you get back that far, I think you are beyond the frame rails, so there would be room for the cross brace. The battery kick out isn't on the really early beds, so make certain that's what your seeing (welded up piece)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I looked at the kick out again & i think its more like s depression,not quite a kick out...& it doesn't appear to be welded after all.
What's it worth,any idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 03:02 am:

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay! Hard to say without the tailgate, as they are (I'm told) also a bit unique. Also, you are missing the bed strips, also not reproduced YET.
'Fraid I'll have to defer to others as to the value, which, BTW depends on location too (just like real estate!; midwest, west coast, east coast, all have different values on parts because of the nature of their weather and amount of population back when this stuff was new!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

thank you!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration