Improved Coil Box Wood Dimensions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Improved Coil Box Wood Dimensions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Hi all. As I find myself at the inlaws for the holidays with a fair bit of free time between visiting with folks I got to thinking about whether or not there was any T work I could do here. Since Santa didn't bring me the Fun Projects coil box re-wood kit (and I'd rather have real wood anyways) I was wondering if anyone had a good dimensioned drawing of the two wood pieces in a 26-27 coil box.

Can anyone help out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Tim:

If you do not receive an answer overnight, I'll dig my wood kit out, measure and get back to you.

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Tim: Happy Boxing Day. Here is a good Pic, courtesy of Lang's catalog. https://www.modeltford.com/item/5000BW.aspx

I'm reporting measurements from an aftermarket wood kit I purchased but did not install, I went with a Funprojects kit instead. The panels are 1/2" thick, the cleats on back are 1/2" wide x 1/4" tk x 7-1/2" long.

The back is 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". Rabbit channels for contacts are all 1/8" deep x 1/2" wide. First channel edge is 3/4" from end, 1/2" wide channel, then 1-5/8" edge to edge of remaining 1/2" channels. The lower edge is 1/2" x 1/8" rabbit

Two rows of four electrical contact holes each are centered in respective channels 5/8" and 3-1/16" below top edge, 5/32" diameter to fit #8 machine screws.

The bottom panel is 8-1/2" by 3-3/8" by 1/2" tk. The rabbit for lower contact strip is 1/8" deep by 5/8" wide. The grove edge is 1-1/2" from the panel edge. The three holes are one at center and two 2" in from each end centered in the rabbit.

I suggest fitting and then drilling the two holes for the rivets in the horizontal tie strap on the back of the coil box. The little cross-tie piece hole may be a challenge. Send me a pm if you need clarification, all the best,

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Thank you very much James, that's all actually perfectly clear. Hopefully tomorrow I can get down to my father in law's workshop to bang out those parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Well, that was a good use of a morning, I got all of my cuts and rabbets done but I'm going to wait to do all of the drilling until I can use the rest of the box as a pattern.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration