Muffler Mis- Information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Muffler Mis- Information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

I had an opportunity to review the article in the Sept-October 2011 Vintage Ford on Muffler Evolution. It's pretty good for the early ones, but the author is missing. Could it have been Bruce himself? The information for the late mufflers is misleading! It shows the 21-27 muffler still using the 4029 small muffler shell, which is incorrect, and it also shows the long muffler rod as still being used, which is also incorrect. In addition, please note the 4032 muffler head retainer was once the rear muffler mounting bracket used from '09-13. The correct information is posted in Martin Vowells drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Larry is correct, both those items should not be shown for the Pressed Steel Muffler.

The following image is a scan from my " Polyprints " reprint of the PRICE LIST OF PARTS dated August 1928. Even with this image the 4037C exhaust pipe is not shown like the one in the magazine article. It would appear that even Ford could not get it right.

Not sure what happened with the picture in the muffler article. For some reason those earlier components have been included.

Best regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Those early muffler parts would be included because there were still cars on the road with them that needed replacement parts. You will see the 4032 part that is unique to the later muffler end cap retainer as well as the 4029 inner pipe that goes with the earlier mufflers. You are right in that they do not appear to show the later exhaust pipe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:39 am:

How many variations of that back end of the muffler were used by Ford between 1921 and 1927? And how many others may be after-market replacements? I have seen at least four variations myself, but don't know how many of them were actually Ford.
I have seen them (if mounted under the car) with the deflector aimed to the side, opposite the frame mounting, and I have seen them with the deflector pointed down, near to the frame mounting. I have seen deflectors that were a separate piece, riveted onto the main piece with a mounting bracket that was made as part of the main piece. And I have seen ones where the mounting bracket was made as the separate piece, riveted on, but the deflector was all part of the main rear piece stamping.
It seems to me, that the one I see most often is the all one stamping/cutting one piece no rivets anywhere, deflector pointed down (sound like I am ordering a cup of coffee? I don't drink coffee). But I am not sure by any means. Muffler is one thing I do not have enough pieces of. I need to find some the next time I make it to a swap meet.
I have only been playing with these things for nearly 50 years now. Still trying to learn.
Thanks to all that help me keep learning.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Dale,
Yes, it goes without saying the earlier parts certainly needed to be in the 1928 parts lists for the very reason you point out.
What I can't understand is the inclusion of those items in the magazine article. Like larry said it is misinformation that could be confusing for newcomers to the hobby.

Best regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:59 am:

Wayne, I have said for years, "The more I learn about these T's, the less I know!!!" Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:35 am:

There is no question that the Ford parts book shows early and late parts together, but the 2011 article clearly shows early parts being used from 21-27, which is incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

So lucky to have enthusiastic people like Larry in the hobby.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration