Old Photo - Firestone Store, Back Work Area, Girard, Kansas,

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Firestone Store, Back Work Area, Girard, Kansas,
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Taking a closer look at the photo, I'm guessing it doubbled as an upholstery shop.

The man in the back is obviously installing a new top. In the forfront there is a seat spring on the floor, also in the right upper a set of top bows hanging.Notice the front fender brace across the fenders.

Just observing,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

I'd say you just had a "Columbo" moment brasscarguy!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:33 am:

Also note the ropes from that fender brace up to the front bow to assist in the top installation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:52 am:

You certainly don't see shops with wallpaper like that much anymore! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Girard is only about 30 miles from me i will see if it is still there. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:44 am:

"Tops n' Tars are us." :-)

What's the white cylindrical thing in the right side of the picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:52 am:

mike, i would say it is a water tub for checking tires.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Interesting. The wood floor in the shop probably didn't last long after this picture was taken.

The building must have been a hardware store or dry goods store before it became a garage.

The vise on the right side of the picture looks like the 3 vises that I have. They were pretty common at farm auctions back in the 50's and 60's.

Don't see them much anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I have a vise very similar to that one myself. It belonged to my grandfather, and I think his father before him. I use it often, a great vise to use.

Wood floors, engine oil, and solvents, are not a good mix. Toss a lit cigarette into the mix and the whole thing can go up in a minute!
But I love these old photos. I always wanted to duplicate one for my working area. The place we had in Ferndale had a perfect area in the barn, but I never got it done. No really good place to do that here. At least not without a lot of money I don't have.
Thank you Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

What is the stand just left of center in the photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Looks like a Weaver tire changer.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Weaver Model E 379217.jpg

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration