Old Photo - Ford Model K - Watch The Fords Go By

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Ford Model K - Watch The Fords Go By
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

That car looks well used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

That car looks well used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Jay, thank you for posting.

This pic was taken in Sep 1908 in front of the Ford Kansas City Branch store. The story that goes with the pic:

The return trip to Oklahoma City:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

I love this stuff! Thank you all.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

A little off topic but interesting.

A quote from the article

"T.B. Funk, of Oklahoma City went through Ottawa like a streak of meteoritic dust."

Interesting since the Tunguska meteoritic event happen on June 30 1908 which was two and a half months before the article above was written.

Sounds like this spectacular World event was fresh in the writers mind while writing the above article.

Here's a link to the history of the Tunguska event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

I've looked at this photo a dozen times during the past few years and not until this evening, promoted by Jay's title for this post, did I notice the "Watch the Fords go by" slogan in the photo.

Jay - thanks for calling my attention to the slogan in the picture.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

While were speaking of "Watch the Fords go by"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMfrqFS5rY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:25 am:

"almost shadowless flight"......LOVE IT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:50 am:

I wonder if that's where my '25 coupe was assembled? It has a KC body number. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:52 am:

The slogan "watch the Ford's go by" first appears a year earlier. Initially, I believe Roy Pelletier was credited with originating it, however he left Ford in 1907, and I thing a fellow named Hogue then receives credit in Ford publications. I also believe Pelletier thought up, or uttered the slogan, while watching Ford (Model K) win the 24 hour race in Detroit in June 1907, while two Ford Model R were also performing well in the race.

What the October 15, 1908 "Ford Times" had to say about the run to Kansas City:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:07 am:

So much for the "24 hour race" slogan origination theory. I decided to check myself (some one has too :-) ), and the slogan was in use at least a month before the 24 HR. race, in May 1907:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Is the round, cylindrical object in the front floor board the Prestolite tank?

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Dan,
I believe so, good catch. Also, it appears the battery box is on the left side. Most of the time the box is on the right side running board, but sometimes it's seen on the left (personal preference?). This is an interesting Model K because it's a dealer car, and a double tourer roadster. Also, the speedometer is mounted to the steering column. Our 6-40 has the speedometer mounted under the cowl to the right of the steering column:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Dan, Yes, I think it's the Prest - O - Lite tank also.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration