Front spring clip bar...question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front spring clip bar...question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Please look at the image of the front spring clip bar. Are we looking at the surface that goes against the spring or the side that faces the road?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Disregard question- it should have been in the forum- not the classifieds.

(Message edited by 600wt on December 25, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

??This is the forum.The side you show up is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:11 am:

I don't know who goes by "600wt", but apparently, he/she/they (my politically incorrect way to be politically correct, and therefore protest political correctness) moved this to here.
Today is generally not the best day to ask urgent questions, most of our best, most learned , regulars are doing other important things with their families. And I am no exception (stuck at home with a cold)
I don't really KNOW the answer to this one. I believe we are looking at what should be the under-side when installed on a car that is upright. The raised area on the other side should distribute its pressure along the spring leaves while not being interfered with by the frame cross-member. The raised area shown should take the pressure from the motor-mount clamp bolts and distribute it through to the spring.
Am I sufficiently clear on that? And, if I am wrong? Hopefully someone will chime in soon with corrected information and facts as to why.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:48 am:

Wayne, "600wt" is the OP. Jack, look at it again, I think Wayne is correct, if I'm thinking correctly. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:10 am:

The part will fit either way.

The reason I ask such a question- do I want the part facing up and providing such narrow support for the front spring, where on the other hand, if reversed, the bar will provide much more support for the front spring creating a more stable steering situation. Could wrong placement create a squirrelly driving situation? So far, no referrences have been found in any books, catalogs, or posts.

Wayne, in this day of correct political correctness I should never have corrected my incorrect posting. These days, there is nothing politically correct about the type cars we drive, the roads we drive on, or our speeds. So, I don't see myself as a very politically correct person anyway.

So, since I own quite a few of these old politically incorrect cars, and some of the spring clip bars come to me facing up, some come facing down, some cars drive better than others. I tend to try to do the correct thing and put them on the way they come off so as not to offend either party. I think I'll put this one back on the way the wear marks from previous mountings show, which is inverted from the politically correct photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:36 am:

There is a curve usually in them. Make the curve follow the spring curve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:48 am:

There is a picture of the spring clip in the Ford Service book, Fig 64 page 21

I think the side you show facing up, should be facing down when installed on the car. That's how I did mine anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Uncle Jack -- Have another cuppa' coffee and try it again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Dave Henry- Thanks man, that is what I'm looking for!!!!

Is it politically correct these days to say "THANKS"? Probably not. Sorry. But, that's not correct, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:00 am:

You guys are right,I somehow reversed it in my feeble mind.(It is fun getting old.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Colin, when you find one with a curve, would you kindly post a picture of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Here's the picture. Canadian made clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

bottom view

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Appears to have just been snugged up a bit too tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

I have four of them and they are all identical. Could be a variation in design from the US models.Note the letter D for Dodge manufacturing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Most of those clamps I have had, did have a slight curvature to fit under the spring. But a few have been flat. I suspect just another model T manufacturing mystery. It could be another earlier versus later thing? But once installed. I don't think you could easily tell one from another.

Jack D! Don't worry about it. We are just very pleased to still have you around and posting regularly! I know a lot of regulars here look forward to your postings.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Colin, That D forge mark occurs on parts made much later than the Dodge Brothers involvement with Ford. Clear stampings show that there is an E linked with the D. Many of the Canadian sourced parts on our cars have that mark. Others may be able to identify the manufacturer for us.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:53 am:

You're right Allan. Dodge had a DB. I have never seen the E as you describe. I know later 26-27 bodies had a specific letter to indicate which plant they were assembled at. This is on the firewall of these later cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Once you determine which side goes up, how tight should the nuts be that hold it in place? thanks

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration