26 fuel shutoff

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 fuel shutoff
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles oakland on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

What degree from on to off is it 90 or 180 degrees on cowl shutoff for a 26 rdsr pu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Now suppose it seems to be stuck fast n the off position, do I go clockwise or counter clockwise after soaking it in penetrating oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 01:29 am:

Mine goes 360 either direction. 90 from full open to completely closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 03:58 am:

Mine works both ways also but seems to seal better when turned outwards 90 deg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Be really careful Tim, if you force it the brass stem will break off. If it is stuck fast it is best to take off the small nut and lever then the pack nut and put the lever back on and try it EASY. If that doesn't work remove the sediment bowl from the gas tank and tap the brass stem out from the inside threaded end. You can ruin those fast and I have done it.

Another way to break them is by pulling the screen out and trying to pry in the opening to back it out of the gas tank with a bar...that will break the thin casting. Use a pipe wrench at the inlet of the gas tank.

Everything can go bad fast on those when they are stuck if you try to force anything. Good luck and go easy on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

If you try what Tim said, be sure the tank is empty or that you have something under the car to catch up to 9 gallons of gas. The bulb should only be removed when the tank is empty.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:22 am:

All of the shut off valves that I have seen have only one drilled hole in the tapered plug section and hence fuel only flows down to the carby (carburettor) when in one position only. Every other position it's a dead end! My valve is permantly in this position as I have every faith In the soft seated needle valve in the carby ( plus an additional modern brass inline valve) !!!!! Alan in Western Australia A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:47 am:

Yes . It has one hole, And therefore two positions180 degrees apart. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:28 am:

If you leave the lever on and back the packing nut out against the lever, that should break the valve loose. I believe the originals had a spring in them between the packing nut and valve which kept tension on the valve without making it stick. Repop kits do not have that spring.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration