**1924-1925 & 1926-1927 Exhaust - Muffler Assmeblies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: **1924-1925 & 1926-1927 Exhaust - Muffler Assmeblies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

The first one is the revision of the previous drawing I did titled "1921-1927 Exhaust Muffler Assembly". I had followed the catalog pictures for sizing and of course they were wrong. I made a fairly stupid mistake between the size of the muffler and the size of the exhaust pipe.

I've re-titled the drawing and stopped it at 1924 on purpose, since new information came to me from John Page concerning the muffler for the 26-27 muffler. The 1925 muffler is basically the same as the 21-24, except they placed the exhaust exit on the bottom like the Canadian cars but without the deflector. The pipe to muffler mounting didn't change on any of these mufflers, it's still the same (electric upset) as Larry Smith's pipes, the changes occurred in plate 4040C. The first two the exit changed, but on the 26-27 the plate changed from two pieces to a one piece stamped plate. By 26-27 the 4037C pipe was standard in both Canadian and US (probably European as well) cars.

I'm pretty sure that the Ford script appears on all of the parts, I'm just not sure where though, especially these rear plates. On the 26-27 it's clearly marked on the blueprint, but for the others I'm not sure...if you know please let me know and I'll add it to my drawings.

There appears to be a "transitional" 4040C plate for the Canadian cars around 1925...it has the stamped one piece plate and mounting bracket, but has a riveted on deflector in the 6:00 position. I'm not sure if this is a Ford product or a repair somebody made to the muffler end plate. If anybody knows please let me know. John Page sent me a picture of it and he wasn't sure either.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Nice Job Martin,
The " transitional " 4040C Rear Muffler Head that Martin mentions in the above thread is an assumption of mine and is not backed up with any real concrete evidence other than this sample pictured below.
This particular rear muffler head is one that I acquired here in Australia in an unrestored state. I now have it displayed in my workshop on a board with what I believe to be the evolution of the Canadian Rear Muffler Heads. It is pressed from two pieces of sheet metal, with an integral mounting bracket, but has the riveted on Canadian deflector. There are no signs that this has ever been tampered with or modified.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who may be able to contribute anything with this sample that I have.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

On the subject of the Ford Script. This picture ( below ) is from a 2013 Forum discussion and was posted by Dan Killecut. If Dan is watching this discussion he may have a larger picture showing where the script is in relation to the mounting bracket.

Regards, John

Link: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/389809.html?1379903613

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I've never seen the 1925 rear muffler end that Martin posted. If anyone has a photo of the real thing, I'd like to see it. My 1925 parts book shows the outlet at 9 o'clock still.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Also, FWIW, the rear muffler head was secured to the bracket (or vicey versey) by three rivets from March of 1920 to December of '22. The center rivet was removed then, and the bracket had two rovets until mid-/25 when the head and bracket were made from a single piece of sheet steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

R.V., That is very interesting.
Not seen any three rivet brackets on any surviving Canadian Mufflers here in Australia.
Thank you for your well informed information, as always.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Another interesting thing I've noted among the original muffler ends I have, is there is no Ford script on the front ones, only the rears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I just saw a photo of an American car where the front plate has a collar on like the Canadians do but it's fitted to the upset pipe...going to have to make that change looks like.

Larry, you're right I misread the drawing (again).
The only difference between the 25 and the 21-24 is that on the 21-24 the mounting bracket has 3 rivets and the 25 they switched to just 2.

I've placed the Ford script on the rear plates where I thought would be the most logical place, but if any of you know for sure where it goes, please let me know. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Funny thing is, I've got the catalog pictures of the 21-22 and 23-24 with the 3 rivets on the mounting bracket and in the 25 catalog it shows only 2. I know you can't always trust those catalog pictures, but that's how I came up with these.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration