Stolen pickup,TT and trailer found

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stolen pickup,TT and trailer found
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:22 am:

I do not know many details yet, but the pickup, TT truck and trailer were found in an impound lot in East Houston.
I thank everyone for helping me and my family in the search.
I will post more details when I know more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:56 am:

OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:12 am:

Whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 06:48 am:

That is sooooooo great. Wonderful news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:19 am:

Good news Wllie. Hope they make an effort to catch the perps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:21 am:

Great!! Share details with us as you can. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Thank God you got it all back. So often the three items get split up very fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Great. hope nothing was damaged before they were Impounded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Glad to hear it was all found! And Ditto to what G.R. just posted. Now, have a GOOD (post) Christmas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Wonderful.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Those guys cant be very smart!
Since the items weren't split up fast they must have had 2nd thoughts about trying to sell the TT Truck.
It will be interesting to find out what happened.

I hope your PU, TT and trailer are still in good shape after all of this.

Good luck and glad they were found!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Willie, You may want to check out the impound fees and get your stuff as soon as you can. A friend of mine had his portable saw mill stolen. He did most of the work in getting the thief caught, by keeping the three different counties police departments active and informed with his information he had found. The mill had been sold by the thief. So it took a little while to get the different police departments to work together in its recovery. In the process the mill had been recovered and put into impound at the Little Rock Arkansas police dept. It took about three months for my friend to be able to get it. The impound fees were almost 600.00 and he was not allowed to get the saw mill till he paid them. Sometimes (not always) the police are almost as bad as the thieves (just legal). Glad they found it, keep us posted as to the outcome....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Schrage on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:11 am:

They were probably surprised to see what was in the trailer and didn't know how to drive it so they gave up. Glad you will be getting everything back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Great news Willie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:14 am:

When I was about 15 I had ridden a bicycle to a friend's house. Then we went somewhere and when I got back the bike was gone. I reported it to the Sheriff. That bike was registered and had the frame number on file with Los Angeles County. A week or so later another friend said he saw my bike at "Trader Tom's". Which store was a second hand store. I went to Trader Tom's got mike bike and pushed it right out the door (didn't even talk to Tom). I then rode it to the Sheriff's office and told them where I had found the bike.

I don't know what happened after that. No one ever contacted me and I had the bike for years after that.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I don't know if the same thing is going on in Houston as around here but larger trailers are stolen to be used as meth labs. The thieves pull the thing into a field somewhere out in the weeds and set up to cook some drugs. After a week or so they just leave it and go away because they figure eventually the property owner will notice it parked in their field. When the crooks open up the trailer and see the antique car they often just panic and either abandon the car somewhere or abandon the whole rig if they get scared that they have stolen something they figure is very very valuable and likely being sought after by a big bucks operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Willie, glad you got everything returned and in good shape! Sharing your experience will serve to make each of us with trailer rigs more aware of their vulnerability and remind us to take the necessary precautions. Now you all can have a Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

This is why my wife thinks I'm Crazy, when I park my rig I always remove the fuel pump fuse from under the hood. Only once did someone successfully use a slide hammer on the ignition switch but then when they were trying to start the van a Police Officer was coming over to see if he could help and was surprised when they ran away, then I got the call from the desk clerk....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Like I said earlier, The Pickup, TT truck and trailer were found. The trailer was disconnected from the pickup. Both were found not too far apart parked alongside a rural road. The TT truck was still strapped down in the trailer and when we got it home it ran just fine.
There was a local news report on one of the Houston TV stations. I think that is what informed the local that called the police. Both the trailer and pickup were taken to an impound yard.
My son Jeff picked up the pickup yesterday, but he could not pick up the trailer with the TT as the license is in my name. I went to the impound yard today and picked up the trailer. All it took was money to cover storage and whatever else.
As I said earlier, most everything was still there but a few items were missing in the pickup.
I thank everybody for helping me find the stolen items. I had no idea where the stolen pickup and trailer was taken until it was found almost local to me. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP
Willie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Willie,

Glad you had everything returned o.k.

G.R.,

Excellent suggestion - that is exactly what I do.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Time to put a tracer on that trailer. I wonder if a TrackR would do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Dave, I'm with you. I've not heard of Trackit, but I have heard of LoJack, and I think every driver who values their tow vehicle, trailer, and antique should invest in one, unless you sleep and live in the tow vehicle. Too many crooks are on the prowl these days, and virtually no one is exempt from the chance of someone taking or borrowing something that doesn't belong to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

The best thing to do is send a thief to an easier target:

Flash = Cash so try and not have an expensive tow vehicle & trailer

Disable your tow vehicle by removing the ignition - fuel - starter by fuse removal or hidden disconnect

Park your trailer so there is no way to unload from the rear - against a wall or with another vehicle behind it

Block the the tow vehicle with a second vehicle in front

Don't be a target ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

My mechanic friend had a darn good way to theft-proof his vehicle, which I'll share.

Unfortunately it won't work on a modern vehicle with a computer - only an older vehicle with distributor and points. It would work on a T with distributor, but not one with buzz coils.

What he did, was wire the cigarette lighter to the connection between the points and the coil.

When he left the vehicle, he'd simply push in the lighter. That would short the coil to ground, making the coil think the points never opened. Hence, no spark.

If done correctly, it's un-spottable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

On a car with a distributor, take the distributor end of the coil wire and swap it with one of the cylinder spark plug wires. It's hard to spot at first glance and the car will only fire on one cylinder. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

I've got a GPS on my trailer - works great. Can sit for months before it needs charged up, and "wakes up" once it starts to move. It is a TTU-1200 and sends me an email if the trailer starts to move

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Forgot to add - glad they found it Willie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

GOOD NEWS!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Great news saw posting on Facebook

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

Great to hear Willie.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

On a vehicle with a distributor, removing the rotor makes it awfully hard to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Correct Steve, but doesn't work on a diesel. This was one if memory is correct.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration