Ford model t wood gas generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ford model t wood gas generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Hello all,

I bought a few wood gas generators including filters, blowers etc. This is a typical european feature during WW2 when there was no fuel available.
Does someone has information regarding a wood gas generator in a model T? My plan is to put it at my TT truck when it is finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Mooi gerard, Ik hoor mijn vader nog schelden op dat ding in de laatste dagen van de oorlog.Bij ons stond hij op een Fordson tractor
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

You can find related threads here.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:mtfca.com+wood+gas&ie= UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:mtfca.com+wood+gasifier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Hi Toon,

I have visited an old member of our club in Benschop, he drove with an generator at a model A during the war. He also told me that it was a lot of work to drive with this system. 1 hour to start up the vehicle, 2 hours driving, 1 hour cleaning and 2 hours driving back home again with a lot of power losses.

Gr. Gerard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Cool project. I wonder how well we could make one work, with modern technology. Dad saw them being used on trucks during WWII. He said it was common to see them alongside the road near the bottom of a hill, trying to build a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Wood gas vehicles are pretty neat and AI was surprised to see two here in Thunder Bay in the same week last year. One was a mid-90s Chevy stake truck conversion and the other was a factory installed option on a 50s truck of some sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:08 am:

I think some of the new technology has helped with the clean out time and start up time. I think they run at 80 percent power. So you will lose 20 percent horsepower on the TT. I remember back it the late 1970s early 80s that Mother Earth News did a article on wood gas generators made from scrap. They suggested to get the biggest, gas guzzeling, big block engine you could for your engine. Then 80 percent of a big engine would be enough power. They built a Ford Pickup with a big block 390 in it. Then drove it coast to coast. The generator took up 1/2 of the pickup bed, and the other half was for wood scrap, scavaged along the way. Keep us posted if you build one. I have always wanted to build one myself ... have fun and be safe , Donnie Brown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 01:19 am:

The Chevy stake truck I saw had about 1/4 of the bed taken up by the gassifier and the rest was for extra wood. The stake sides themselves were actually piping to cool the gas or some such. I spoke to the guy a bit about it and he said he and his friend run the thing for free since they use off cuts from a roof truss company and scraps from a local furniture factory. The furniture scraps he mentioned were essentially rocket fuel in the truck as they're all kiln dried. At any rate, as neat as the rig was, I did run into it at a wrecking yard when the owner was there for a replacement set of heads so that may be saying something about a wood gas conversion right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:40 am:

Power loss is high on a low compression engine, 4.5 to 1 ratio is about 40% loss, raising the compression ratio will overcome power loss.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration