Old Photo - A crowd of listeners outside Collins' Radio Shop at 223 South San Fernando Blvd in 1926, listening to the World Series.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - A crowd of listeners outside Collins' Radio Shop at 223 South San Fernando Blvd in 1926, listening to the World Series.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

In the '50s, '60s, and '70s, Collins radios were the Cadillac of aircraft radio equipment. Is there any connection between that shop and the Collins aircraft radios?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

John,

Different Collins. Art Collins of the Collins Radio Co. you refer to grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In 1926 he was a radio amateur (born in 1909) but had yet to form his company. Art started production of amateur radio transmitters in the early 1930's. Very high quality gear even at that time and he grew the company rapidly during WWII. As you said very high quality gear from the 40's on. I have several sets that work better for me than the newer digital equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:18 am:

Are you sure this crowd isn't gathered together to listen to Stan play his fiddle on his radio show?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Or the market crash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:00 am:

Oops, didn't see the '26 written on the picture until now...my bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Interesting story about Collins radio equipment.
Being a radio amateur (ham), I went right to this post.
Yes, in the ham radio world Collins ham radios are the most desirable for tube radio fans.

In the golden age of short wave radios, Collins, Hallicrafters, Hammurland, and a few others were the best and Collins was always at the top or close to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:07 am:

That reminds me of how the people used to crowd around the TV shops in the lat 1940's. They used to have them in the window and people outside would crowd around to look.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

My parents were part owners (with an uncle) of a TV shop in the '50s. I used to stay there a lot when I was little, and remember people doing that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:06 am:

As I recall, ham radio operators were what we relied on for emergency communication when I was in Vietnam. They would relay calls to wherever they had to go. Fortunately, I never had to use their services, but they were held in very high regard. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:26 am:

M.A.R.S.
Military Amateur Radio System (I think).

In Vietnam, if you were lucky enough to get on a HF radio (on the ground or in an aircraft), you could contact a MARS Ham station in the US. They would patch you to a phone line to call home. This was a great service provided by the amateur radio community.

Thank you for YOUR service.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:51 am:

Yep Bob, M.A.R.S. was what I was thinking of, just couldn't remember what it was called. They indeed provided a great service! As close as we had to cell phones then!

Thank you for your service too Sir! Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration