OT - Driving on the frozen tundra. Took the 07 out on ice and snow this morning.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Driving on the frozen tundra. Took the 07 out on ice and snow this morning.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Just back from a warm Christmas, time to see if the K would start. It was down to about 10 F overnight, around 15 for the drive with snow and ice on the road. The gauge said 13 degrees. With no starter and original carburetor, one get's a feel for how they did it "in the day."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSlhHEXeCI

Starting out, I killed it shifting to high, so off and re-crank. Fortunately, it started OK. It was definitely a brisk ride.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZGYPZelBU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

It's great to see you using this car, what an incredible way to experience history :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Neat Video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Not many would venture out in weather like that. You say you are German, but you must have some Viking blood in you somewhere. My drive yesterday was cold, but not as cold as yours.

Maybe you need to move to Minnesota!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I was pretty proud of myself driving in 20 degree weather with the top up and side curtains on, but Rob, you are in a whole 'nother league! Hats off to you, sir! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:12 am:

Rob, that kind of behavior used to be fun for me, now, not so much! I hate to walk out to the car when it's cold any more! It hurts way too much now!!! Enjoy it while you can! Retired and keeping warm, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:34 am:

Rob thanks , we have no excuses for not enjoying our cars this winter.....the smile on your face tells it all.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Rob, I also want to give you a "tip of the cap"!!!! Nothing beats driving a 100+ year old vehicle, best of luck in the coming New Year, driving your vehicles.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eP27eDtSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Rob: Might I suggest that when you go for rides in that type of weather these products work great ( i ride a Motorcycle year round and contrary to popular belief it has been down to 25 degrees here more than once)
http://www.cyclegear.com/nav/cat1/street/category/base-layers/0
great ride thanks for taking us along. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Thanks guys.
Dave, many of the German immigrants in our area came via Russia, so cold probably wasn't foreign to them......

David, at 59 plus (60 in March) I feel the cold too. Especially the three prosthetic joints.....:-(

Robert, compared with the original owners, I still have it pretty easy. When I'm cold I go inside a house that's 70 degrees throughout. Could you imagine getting cold in 1907? One would need to find a stove or fireplace to warm up.

G.R., thanks, I use my farmer "snivel gear," stocking hat, seed corn coat and yellow gloves...... :-)

We aren't new to winter driving. This pic was taken about ten years ago. Now she is 15, and probably wouldn't think about coming with me:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

we did a little winter driving ourselves Christmas day here in Cypress, TX. The temperatures dropped waaaay down into the mid 70's by sunset. I wish we had more cold weather like this all year round.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration