Lucky with Radiator performance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lucky with Radiator performance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

I have purchased 3 model T's this year and I have been lucky I guess as each one doesn't have a water pump and are showing no signs of overheating. I had the Depot hack out yesterday and went for a drive with 5 Adults in it and not a sound when parked up, pretty good for a 35 deg C day carrying a load.
Obviously being in storage for 8.5 years doesn't effect the radiators as both the Hack and the Speedster had been parked up.
I love summer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Kevin. It may not be entirely luck. Remember, in a overheating condition, the radiator is only 1 of 4 systems, singly or in combination, which could be culpable. These are, ignition, mixture control, valve seating and timing, and also the ambient air temperature. With each of these in prime condition, even a marginal radiator will cool effectively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

By my thinking at 35 deg C & hauling a load if your radiator isn't good all the other factors set correctly wont save you.
Nice car in your profile pic Willard, maybe one day I can afford one like that lol.
Have a good one....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Kevin, there's an excellent chance a water pump won't help either. Typically they are not much more than a blockage in an adequately designed cooling system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Obviously poor timing and fuel mixture can make even the best radiator ineffective but if those two elements are right the reason Model T 's overheat is because the cooling fins are no longer making contact with the tubes so the heat can't dissipate. That 's why a perfectly good looking radiator with good flow and no leaks will still overheat. The radiator in a Model T was perfectly adequate to cool them when new but not by a big margin so when the fins start to separate from the tubes they start running hot. That said, I am still running two original brass radiators down in Florida where the temperature is often 90 and they don't overheat but the fins are still making good contact with the cooling tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Michael I agree about the water pump and I guess the point i was also making is there is no need for one even when the radiator is old as long as its clean and working right.
Val - that makes sense how you describe it, thanks. 35 deg C is 95 deg F, the day before it was 38 deg C (100.5 deg F) with no issues either however I was driving without extra weight.
Anyway I'm pleased cooling isn't a concern at this stage as we have a long hot summer to come yet with Feb being our most consistent run of heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:43 am:

If the radiator has loose fins (as mine did), putting a water pump on did nothing to improve the cooling. Neither did any combination of spark, mixture, etc. A new radiator was the only answer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration