OT but would like opinions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT but would like opinions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Oil change intervals for modern cars. My manual says 8,000 miles between, the dealer says 3,000 between, i believe 5,000 between. 20W oil non-synthic. What do you say? Just normal driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:45 am:

I agree with you Tyrone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:51 am:

I have always changed my oil in my moderns right around 3,000 or when the oil starts to get fairly dirty. Whichever comes first. Still driving my '97 F150 which barely uses a quart of oil between changes at over 150K miles. Maybe that's why. I have always used Havoline 5w30 in it, but use Rotella 10W30 in the T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:17 am:

2008 Camry. Every 5000 miles the oil change light comes on and I change it. At 5000 miles the oil doesn't look much darker than it did at 0. That's the only time I have to deal with the oil. I never have to add any between changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Tyrone, I once worked where there we an Army Oil Analysis Unit. From their data, we change oil too soon. Does you owner's manual specify synthetic oil? If so you should be using synthetic. If it specifies non synthetic, then the 8,000 mile interval is probably good. If you use the car for short runs, that is you don't get the oil hot to vapor off contaminants, then once a year or the 8,000 mile figure which ever comes first. Manufactures tend to give conservative numbers for their service intervals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Tyrone, Your dealer suggest 3,000 because he makes more money that way. If you drive in very dusty conditions or most of your driving is less that 10 miles at a time then 5,000 miles is a good interval. If most of your driving is long distance at freeway speeds then you may be able to go longer than the 8000 mile factory recommendation. My last Goldwing had a recommendation of 10,000 between changes I had 200,000 on it when i traded it and it never used oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:39 am:

5000 it is easier to remember when to change.

I agree that the whole 3000 recommendation is just to sell more oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Here nowadays, we use kilometers and some new vehicles I've had call for 12,000 kms. I like to go exactly 10,000 so I can never forget when oil change time arrives. You don't get near as much dilution from gas and dirt with modern engines so, my main concern is thermal breakdown which is why I use synthetic oil. Old cars and especially the Model T tend to be the opposite, they need to be changed often to keep the contaminants out and synthetic oil is a waste of money I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Changing oil every 3000 miles is a holdover from years ago. It kind of caught on from when the roads weren't all that good and dust and dirt was something people dealt with and people used non-dertergent oil.
Also a test was done with modern oils a few years ago with several kinds of automotive engines. The oil was checked at different intervals and after 5-7000 miles the oil was still good with no major changes.

For average driving 5000 miles between changes is fine in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:04 am:

First read your car manual and look at the maintenance recommendations for everything. Usually there are two schedules, one for regular driving and one for "severe" condition. Following the factory recommendations. This applies not only to oil changes, but other maintenance. Dealers will try to have you do excess oil changes as well as unnecessary service work to make extra money. It is as simple as that. Usually they say "dealer recommended" so they don't get into trouble with their franchise agreements. My dealer for my 2015 Hyundai was recommending oil changes every 3 months or 3000 miles, which is ridiculous for modern engines and oil. The factory says 6 months or 7500 miles for regular service, or 3750 miles for severe usage, such as winter time with extremely cold weather. When I did my 30,000 mile service, the cost of the dealer "recommended" service would have cost 2 1/2 times what the factory specified. Excess service work is a huge profit center for many dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I have a Buick. It has a feature which is set to 100% every time the oil is changed. As you drive around it changes to a lower percent. At around 20% I change the oil. I haven't even checked on how many miles between changes! The engine now has 104,000 miles on it and still don't need to add oil between changes. If I am planning to go on a long trip, I usually change the oil if it is under 50%.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:38 am:

My 2009 Toyota 4Runner came with the oil change light set to come on every 5000 miles. The engine runs on synthetic oil. I use Mobil 1 synthetic only. The oil filter is good for 7500 miles. The oil for 10.000 miles. I make sure I take a high capacity filter and my own oil and change it every 5000 miles, just because the light came on. This is my third 4Runner and has over 100.000 miles. The previous two 4Runners were traded in when they hit 200.000 miles for top dollar and I have not had any issues of any kind in the last 12 years / 500.000 plus miles other than changing a brake light bulb.
ZERO maintenance vehicles and good oil pays back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Today I am taking my T in for an oil change. Will be fun to see the guys figuring out where the oil filter is....
I would do it myself but I already have plenty of old oil from two planes and one lawn mower to dispose of so I will take that with me and they can recycle it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

I say depends on what kind of driving one doese
But I change my modern car every 5k T once a year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Alan take your camera with you that ought to be fun:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I does depend on what kind of driving one does and also the conditions typically present. In a dusty dessert environment I'd be inclined to change the oil ( and filters) more frequently than I would at, say, the coast where the air tends to be cleaner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I have an opinion, but I'll have to check with my wife to make sure that it is correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Yah Fred, It is true . . "If a man speaks in the forest, and no one hears him, is he still wrong?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Fred,

Yesterday was my birthday. A friend (?) gave me a card that read on the cover, "Happy Birthday to a great American Rebel, a guy who calls the shots, makes his own way, follows his own star!" On the inside it read, "As long as his wife gives him the OK first." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Many new cars have oil life sensors in their electronics package. But the rub is that you have to find out whether the oil life system operates on algorithms or actual oil life. I know GM has used the algorithm system for several years that measures how many short trips are logged and the engine temps as well as other variables the would supposedly affect oil life. Once that figure is reached in the computer it tells you to change the oil regardless of its true condition. Other systems actually measure the opacity of the oil. You almost have to know which system you have to be sure when to change oil, but most oil manufacturers will tell you that a 5K-7K miles interval is just fine under most conditions. Short trips in winter that lead to oil dilution and operating direct injection gasoline powered vehicles for short trips in cold climates drastically shorten oil life. Same goes for towing and severe service. But it's been a long time since I heard of oil failure in an engine under any condition if it was changes on the manufacturers recommendations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

A good friend works for a tow-boat company, operating push- and pull-tugs on the Mississippi River. Their boats use the same engine as found in a switchyard locomotive (Diesel).

One of their big costs used to be oil changes. They would have to suck out the old oil, and since the sump took almost 50 gallons, they would have to wrestle huge heavy drums of oil on and off the boats for refills. In normal use, the only time they shut an engine down was for maintenance, and it would take 24 hours to cool so they could work on it, then 12 hours to get back to operating temperature afterwards.

Then they switched to synthetic oil. They tested it in two boats, and had the oil analyzed at intervals, then tore the engines down, one at their normal oil-change hours, and one at double that. They found no discernible wear in the engines, and when they finally tore one down after 10 times the normal oil-change interval, it still looked new to them.

Their shop mechanics got pissed- thought they were trying to work them out of a job!

What they now do, is NEVER change the synthetic oil. They do change the filters about one fourth as often as they used to change the oil, and then top up - ONLY to replace what was in the filter.

Their opinion is that the only reason we need to regularly change the oil in an automobile if it's using synthetic oil, is because we so often drive short distances and don't get the engine hot enough to boil out the condensation.

They went to a 100,000 mile oil change on their company vehicles (some gasoline, some Butane), again using synthetic oil, and changing the filter at 50,000.

For what it's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

If you had the oil analyzed why did they tear the engines down?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I change mine when the Oil Life Monitor tells me to. It's about 8,000 miles for my truck, and 12,000 miles on my wife's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

GR.
It was fun. no pictures to show but the manager of the garage said I could no drive it in because of liability and his guys had no idea how to drive it. Finally I drove it onto the lift and the mechanics had a blast looking it over, getting their pictures taken under , next to, and inside the T. They removed the plug, drained the old oil. put the plug back, poured in 5 quarts of oil , checked the top petcock and that was it. 20 bucks for labor and I was back on the road. It is great to see professional mechanics take a look at these old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

If your car is currently under a warranty, make sure that your oil changes will keep the warranty valid. Keep all receipts for oil changes not done at the dealership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I ask for a 2012 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. Manual says 5-20 regular oil at 8,000 miles. The truck has 45,000 miles. I have been changing it at 5,000 miles. At that mileage the oil is just starting to get a brown tint. But far from dark brown.

I believe I will stick with the 5,000 mile change. As Tom said, its easy to remember and easy is what my brain likes. Plus it is a good time to rotate the tires.

I am driving for a local Honda dealer and I see people coming in all the time for an oil change because the oil change light comes on at 20% oil life. That 20% equals 1,000 miles the owner is not getting out of their oil life.

Thank you all for answering. All very interesting replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Use 5W20 Ford synthetic blend in my 2003 Ford F150, changed at 5000 miles or when dirty. Use 5W20 Castrol in 2012 Camry, changed at 5000 miles or whenever dirty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

No knowing what brand or which motor I can only offer a generalization.

All manufactures are on a collision course with new Federal fuel economy regulations. One easy way is to fit all engine components looser and looser. Most Japanese engines are aluminum with steel liners, and very short skirt pistons.

They are all trying to increase their "CAFE" corporate average fuel economy. Café numbers are getting more restrictive by the year. The most uneconomical part of your motor running is from stone cold. This is why most manufacturers since 2013 have gone to ZERO/20 motor oil.

So to improve the cold start fuel economy the manufacturers are installing shorter looser fit pistons often eliminating 1 oil ring. This is where excessive oil consumption takes over.

Subaru suggests it is acceptable to use 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. So most Subaru's have a 4.5 quart engine sump. So if you drive 5000 miles between oil changes you may run out of oil in-between changes. Audi now suggests it acceptable to use 1 quart of oil every 600 miles. AS my wife owns 2 Subaru service centers and they do many oil change services daily, it seems nearly 60% of our customers come in with no oil showing on the dip stick. We implore our customers to check the oil every other gas fill up. A quart of oil is much cheaper than an engine. The 1st thing our techs do is to check the oil before we perform the o/c service. We then make note of the reading on the customers permanent record.

We recommend to change their oil on 3000 miles intervals for both synthetic and non synthetic oil, until the manufactures find a solution to the oil consumption issue.

As a side bar Subaru presently has 2 class action law suits regarding excessive oil consumption. I believe Audi has a law suit as well.

The simple answer is to error on the side of caution and use the 3000 mile mark for all oil changes.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

We used walmart 5/30 oil every 3000 miles in a 2001 corolla.
At 220,000 miles it uses a half quart every 3,000 miles.
A lot of hard fast driving and it will use a whole qt. every 3000 miles.
I am so sick of oil changes that I switched everything over to AMSOIL. My '51 Ford F1 doesn't use any oil, I use 10-40 AMSOIL in it . The corolla gets 10-30 AMSOIL, my old volvo has 10-40 AMSOIL. The book calls for 10-40 on an 'i84 volvo.
I will change the filters once a year, the oil every 20,000 miles.
My F1 gets a lot of miles so it will get a filter twice year and oil change every year.
I have an MG customer who is am AMSOIL dealer.
He changes his oil every 24,000 miles, the filters twice a year, once a year in his MG.
His engines are super clean in the valve train area under the rocker covers, I have seen two of them.
The MG has had synthetic AMSOIL for forty years, only been changed five times.
It is as clean as new.
The cleaners added to regular oils are too aggressive to be renewed every 3000 miles (normal driving).
I believe now 5000 is often enough for mineral oils to be changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:20 am:

Wow, I wonder why Subaru has lawsuits regarding excessive oil consumption. I haven't changed oil at 3,000 mile intervals for over thirty years. That's just plain crazy nowdays with the modern oils that are available. I use synthetic oil and change at 10,000 miles, if it needs it or not! No excessive consumption between changes, maybe a quart at most. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:44 am:

David - That was a surprise to me too, but I guess the 12/28 - 10:37pm post in this thread by "brass car guy" explains it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:02 am:

Harold, that is just one of many reasons that I won't buy foreign cars, I don't care where they are assembled. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:18 am:

Oil is cheap compared to a new engine. I change it between 3-5000 miles regardless of what oil is used. If that is too soon as some say, then that is fine. But i'll take the piece of mind, and I also feel how would you know if an issue arises such as bearings giving way, or coolant intrusion. I am in my mid 40's and only on my 4th daily driver and that is only because NY salts the crap out of the roads in the winter and it rusts everything. My vehicles usually get darn near 200,000 if not more by the time they rust out and still run fine---maintenance, it has to be done.

I will say this also. Most people NEED to follow the severe duty cycles for maintenance on their vehicles. Short drives under ten miles are killer, and you need to keep on top of that. I also have been switching the wifes and I vehicles to synthetic. I have seen the benefits of it when engines are opened up that still have regular oil changes---they are clean / cleaner inside.

I have wrenched for 25 years in and out of dealerships, and base everything on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:01 am:

I change the oil, all 15 quarts, in my 02 Excursion every 3/4000 mi's. At 200,000 she strong and uses not a drop between changes. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:31 am:

coming from an Air Force guy, if the Tech Orders (aka the manual) state to change the oil every 8,000 miles, then change it at 8,000 miles. That's the way they engineered it and completed extensive testing to arrive at that interval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:02 am:

I also wonder if people use a quality brand of oil filter or the brand made down to a price? Anymore i try to go from 8 to 10,000 miles on our 7.3 but a oil change cost over 60.00 doing it myself.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I have been using synthetic 10/30 in my model T since it was re-built 15 years ago. Change the oil once each year. Have never needed any bearing adjustments to date. Some may think I'm wasting my money. I use synthetic in all my cars, truck and RV. I Consider buying high quality synthetic oil is cheap insurance for all of my vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

I used to change at 3k but since the oil companies started to add synthetic to all oils I moved to 4k. I think a real important issue is the weight of oil used. My neighbor and I have motor homes with the Ford 10 cyl gas. We both change our own oil and he was using 10/30 in winter and 20/50 in the summer. I followed the mfg suggested weight of 5/20. He started to use oil (qt every 1000 then down to 500 mi). The service rep at the dealer suggested he follow the mfg recommendation and switch to 5/20. His oil consumption went down to 1 qt per 3k miles. That seems to be different than one would think-use heavier oil when using oil. Just my .02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I try to go with 3 to 4000 miles per change. To be honest all my vehicles use oil so they get a fresh top off once in a while. But related to what brass car guy says, with my Cadillac's north star engine it is considered normal for 1 qt per 1000 miles. and it lives up to it.
What gets me is the old worn out 305 v8 in my chevy wagon,with over 350,000 miles on it,it uses 2 qt's between changes.You would expect it to puke liquid oil out the tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:49 am:

5W30 synthetic, every 8000. 2002 Venture van with 220,000 miles. Uses a quart every 5000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Ever think about a block heater? 20 cents of electricity per day, or whenever you're going to drive, and NEVER a cold start, save fuel, too. Dave in Bellingham, WA Never even gets cold here

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration