Old photo Ottawa Ont

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo Ottawa Ont
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Ottawa Electric Railway clearing the snow at Bank and Sparks Street in the 1910, using early versions of the dump truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:27 am:

same spot today
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4213976,-75.7015524,3a,75y,94.33h,82.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sALmMr7hawfaeUSl JxFv9qA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Pretty tired old fleet. There looks to be a 1940s car in the background. The first driver seems proud to have a windshield. The other two are ashamed or trying to hide from the wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

The hood is crooked on two of the TT trucks. Looks like they put high radiators on trucks that had low ones originally. Hood sides are also missing. The third truck appears to have a high radiator and complete hood.
Interesting picture. If it weren't for the fuzzy image of the '40ish car (it could be as early as '37?), the photo could easily be thought of as mid '20s. Actually, when I look at it? What impresses me the most is that the "heavy-duty construction" TT trucks still appear to be in mostly decent condition. They would be at least ten years old when this was taken. Most trucks given that kind of use were pretty well destroyed by that age. Consider the times in question. A TT truck in 1925 was great technology, although a bit archaic in design (model T since 1909). Truck and engine technology had leaped forward a tremendous amount by 1935. A TT by then was little more than "horse and Buggy".
Great photo! Thank you Shawn H! How is the great uncle's speedster coming along?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Would guess that the snow remover on tracks was a recent machine because it was efficient but the TT trucks stayed around because they were cheap! Gravity dump bodies with a side door (probably 2) that were opened first when unloading to lighten the front of the box so it would tip to the rear.
Maybe they hauled highway gravel in the summer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I actually know a guy that used to drive one of these, they used to load them to the point of having no steering , he told me a story of one running through a beer store window

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I lived in Ottawa from 1946 to 1948. I don't remember Model Ts, but I probably rode in that streetcar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Hi Wayne , not a lot on the "racer"
as you know I do these mainly for/and with my father, and the last year or so he wanted a car with heat, (mint original 40 plymouth coupe)mostly original paint we are told !!!!
so I gave been maintaining it , as well as a 28 WK
HOPING to start again this winter :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration