What is this tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is this tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

I stumbled across a picture of this tool. What is it for? As far as I can tell, it's something to try to tighten up loose spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

I think it is to shim wheel spokes, as u said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

I agree with Richard. The screw pushes down on the end of the spoke, leaving a small gap between the rim and the shoulder of the spoke. It is then possible to push a U shaped washer into the gap. While it was used quite extensively, it is not really recommended today.

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on December 28, 2015)

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on December 28, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

it could be used to dimple the fellow down to the spoke,i would like to see the end that does the work. just guessing. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

I agree with charley, it looks way beefier than necessary if its only function is to pull the felloe up away from the end of the spoke. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

We have a local wheelwright in the greater Seattle-Tacoma area and the first thing he inspects on ANY felloe is to make sure THAT tool or some other method of "dimpling" used to tighten the spokes gets thrown out - he simply won't use a "dimpled" one for his wheel rebuilding - he only does spokes - no wood felloes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Boy that would sure throw your wheel out of balance. How do you get a tire to fit with that hanging on there? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

I have one that u can shim a spoke without removing the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

There is a tool used to set rivets on sickle bars for putting teeth back on. Could this be used for setting rivets for attaching rims to fellows like on the nondemountable rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

mark, most of those tools that i have seen used a hammer to set, not a screw . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I have one of these. Use it often, in fact. What it does is tighten the felloe around the spoke nipple and press the spoke tight into the hub. No shims used.You use it in a crisscross pattern and then tighten up the hub bolts. I have different sized dies for whatever wheel needing help, no need to remove the wheel from the car. It is very effective in tightening loose wheels. Understood that wheelwrights frown on this, but it has made wheels usable where they would have deteriorated and become unsafe when respoking was not an option. There are many unmolested rims from wheels that were left loose or allowed to rot beyond help. A good wheelwright will have some of them to chose from.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration