Reproduction Ford Instruction Book

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reproduction Ford Instruction Book
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

I received a 1954 'reproduction' of the 1913 Ford Model T Instruction book today when I helped a friend get his Model A running.

Did Ford give these to new T buyers?

a b
c d
e f

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

I think I have an instruction book for my '22 I just assumed that they came with the cars to teach new owners about them.

You need to take a little more time when you sit and color the T on the front page :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

I have a feeling Henry gave nothing away with the car. There was a price to everything that could be considered an accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Ford didn't give anything he considered unnecessary away with his cars though an owners manual was indeed necessary in a time when most buyers hadn't driven anything but a horse before buying a Model T..

In the linked thread there's a packing list showing what was included when buying a Model T in 1914, the "Ford Manual" is #1: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/453617.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Yeah, but he seemed to pretty much stay in the lines Dennis!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Did you receive a Model T Instruction Book when you bought a new Model T back in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

That 6th Edition Instruction Book is the modern reprint available. Got this one off the MTFCA Museum gift shop book rack.

Check thru the various pages and you will see old underlines in pen ink, that got reproduced when the later reprint was set on plates. Probably still today these same plates are used for the current reprints. Can't believe all the stock dates to 1954 printed books :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Oh golly.

Just noticed that yours has two-color print on the front cover. With red in the big T.

The modern version has no red ink on the cover. So yours is likely the 1954 or at least a 50's or 60's reprint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Or...is that red just a crayon work of some kiddo? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

I think Dan is onto something. The red looks home-made to me.

If you have Bruce's encyclopedia you'll find that it contains 21 of these manuals, from 1907 (N, R, S) to 1927. Not facsimile reprints, but the copy and the illustrations are there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Or you can just look at them online:
http://www.mtfca.com/books/1911Inst.htm

http://www.mtfca.com/books/1911Inst.htm

http://www.mtfca.com/books/1926Inst.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Ford reprinted the 1913 instruction book in the early '60s. They are everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:05 am:

In 1959, I wrote to Ford H.Q in Geelong regarding my TT. They sent me a copy of the 1954 reprint 'With Compliments'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 05:13 am:

Thanks Royce, those links say the book was supplied with new cars.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration