1917 problem with brakes releasing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 problem with brakes releasing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

December 26, 2015, 2nd test drive for Sambuca, my 1917 Canopy Express Delivery. I have been working on installing a Ruckstall rear end for over 14 months. On the 24th I conducted the 1st road test and found that the emergence brakes were on, so I have disconnected them and trying out Sambuca again today. Sambuca runs much better, but still having problems with Rocky mountain brake drum on drivers side heating up, after backing off several times. There is also a lack of power, compared to the way Sambuca used to run.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umSE5pnlpWM&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Have you pulled the wheel(s) to make sure something's not broken or loose in the drum, causing the brake shoe to drag?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

If the axles and / or hubs are worn the brake drum can pinch the shoe against the backing plate and cause this problem. You can often fix the problem by adding a shim between the axle and the hub(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Thanks to Tim & Royce, for helping me with helpful suggestions. I plan on taking that wheel off and doing an inspection later this week.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: I can try and post some photos if that would help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Yes, please post photos, thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration