Too Much For Glass - 16 Coupelet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Too Much For Glass - 16 Coupelet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Went to a local glass vendor today (not automotive) and asked him to give me a quote for safety glass for my two port holes windows and the back window.

Quote was $160, this seemed high to me. What do you guys think? Only the back would be safety glass, the port holes he said to do with normal glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

Cost me $100 bucks here in Califunny to have the top half of our 1915 roadsters windshield's safety glass cut and fitted to the frame ready for me to bolt back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Are those port hole windows oval with a polished bevel? If so they are expensive and labor intensive. I've run into that with mirrors of the same variety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:15 am:

$120 Australian per panel for my '27 tourer. That's about $88 US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:28 am:

For my '24 fordor the 2 piece windshield cost me $75, and $130 for the rear window and both quarter windows. I still have to get him to do my front & doors. I will have to polish the edges some on the quarter glass top edge to get the proper finish, but the price was right. He even gave me the mounting tape for the quarter and door glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Oval with no bevel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:49 am:

Philip, I'd look for an automotive glass shop. That sounds way to high to me. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

The oval cut is what is costing so much--very easy to crack one side of the safety glass while doing the oval cutting, so the dealer is protecting himself in case he has to do it more than once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

All new safety glass for my '24 Tudor was $400 from my retired auto glass friend. He helped me install the windshield and I installed all the rest. I consider that a screaming deal as the cheapest quote I got from a auto glass co was $1000 (they wanted to do all the installation but I didn't want them anywhere near my car, clowns).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Went to two local auto glass shops and no deal. Called Vintage Glass in CT and they said no problem. Will ship the glass next week to them.

Thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration