'' T '' oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '' T '' oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:38 am:

What is the best oil to use in a ''old'' 27 T motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:26 am:

Joe, anything that you can buy now is MUCH better than what was available back in the day. Now, let the games begin!<g> Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:25 am:

LOL Dave, I was thinking the same thing!!! But that said, I do like Rotella 10W30 in the T's, but I use Havoline in my "regular cars". And you're right, anything is better than what those poor old beasts were fed back in the day. Joe, just keeping it changed when it turns dark is the most important thing, after all, isn't an engine an engine? Cleanliness inside 'em is next to Godliness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:26 am:

Not much use to buy expensive long life oil since it's designed for modern engines with an oil filter. In the T engine without any effective filtering you'll have to change the oil often anyway, Ford recommended every 750 miles.
The most important feature of the oil you'll want is that it's light enough so it'll run through the internal oil line by gravity and keep all the bearings lubricated right from start with a cold engine. Ford recommended a "medium light" oil, that's about SAE20 today. 10w40 or similar will be OK :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:42 am:

I've nursed a lot of old well-worn engines along with 10W-40 Pennzoil in the past. Helped to keep 'em running until they finally gave up the ghost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:00 am:

My engine sounds happiest with Rotella 15w40.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:54 am:

I need to make a web page about this and just post a link whenever the question comes up. :-)

My dad was a stillman for Shell, Pathfinder, and Union Oil from the twenties until he retired in 1965. A favorite saying of his was, "It all comes out of the same pipe." He wasn't being literal, of course. He was saying that there's little or no difference among brands. All of them have to meet the same standards to have the API label on the container. Dad scoffed at the rhapsodic TV commercials for the products he made, because he knew how similar they all were.

As Roger pointed out, you'll be changing oil often. I prefer to use the Walmart house brand or other "cheap" oil rather than pay extra for major brands to support their expensive advertising. Any multi-grade like 5W-20 or 10W-40 is fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:22 am:

A engine is just a engine? I agree with what Roger said except Tin Lizzie said the modern equivlent was in 1955 SAE-10.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Boy does this question get asked a lot! And I always recommend going to Wal-Mart, The Dollar store or Auto-Zone and buy the store brand multi-grade oil they sell.
I like 10W-30 but something close to it will work just fine also

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration