Seat spring fittings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Seat spring fittings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:44 am:

I am rebuilding the seat squab in my roadster and need some replacement fittings. They are not like US made seat springs for T's.

These little top hat like pieces hold the bottom of the end tapered springs. I would like to replace 8 of them I ratted from an original cushion.

There are 64 of these in the assembly. I can reuse some of them. Others broke when removed or are too rusted to stand being re-bent for use.
I could make some using tinplate, but it would take forever.

Can anyone help, or are these items with which you guys are unfamiliar?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Allen,

I have used conduit clamps and straps to hold springs in place when I couldn't find the correct straps. Very small clamps work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Denis, there are only a few springs which sit on the wooden frame where I could use such clips. The rest sit on a grid of crossed wires. Call me silly, but I like to do the job as it was done when I have the sample to follow. Half the cross type clips could be used at the top of the spring, where the branded side is covered by the trim. I have another seat out at the farm, but it has been in the weather, so I am not expecting to salvage much from it. The metal in those clips seems to be really soft, making it easy to bend around the spring.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Allan from down under.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Perhaps check upholstery supply shops and websites for something close?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

If an upholstery shop can't help, maybe contact Snyder's Model T Parts and send them a picture of what you're looking for - their business started with seat springs, perhaps one of their suppliers will have something similar to what you need. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Ok I misunderstood I thought you just needed to attach it to the wood frame. If you were to visualize that piece of metal stamped out flat it would look like an "iron cross medal" (similar to WWl/WWll medals). Perhaps you could cut some iron crosses out of heavy tin sheet and fold it over a piece of pipe and then bend the edges over with needle nose pliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Plumbers tape strapping works well for keeping the seat springs attached to the wood frame. Not period correct but works. Used sheet metal screws for attaching to the wood frame. Nylon cord works well for tying each spring in both directions. Once the upholstery is in place....it's all hidden. May not work for all....however, my butt is happy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration