Old Photo - Pittsburg Union Strike Parade Truck Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Pittsburg Union Strike Parade Truck Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Interesting picture of a chain drive vehicle in motion. Notice how the chain arches upward behind the drive sprocket.

Thank you Jay, for yet another wonderful photograph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Hey Bill, I think that is an indication that the chains have not been properly oiled and they have gotten stiff, notice there are at least two kinks in the upper portion of the chain. This is a precursor to premature failure due to the pins being frozen in the bushings of the inner links.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Actually the chains are to loose as they are slowing the truck down, hence the bowing of the drive chain. The jack shaft is slowing and the rear wheels are trying to go faster.I had a 1 cylinder Reo chain drive truck and the very same thing happened until I adjusted the drive chains.

Finding a 1905 automotive service book the correct deflection of the chain is inch and 1/2 when vehicle is unloaded.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Notice that they are bowed outward top and bottom. The kink just visible to the left of the rear tire in the photo. I would bet the truck is either stationary or moving slowly at an even speed in the photo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration