26/27 Engine Minor Details Painting Colors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26/27 Engine Minor Details Painting Colors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Got such a great and quick reply to my coil box color question, I may as well strike while the iron is hot . . .

1. Transmission cover screws. Black or metal?
2. Starter mounting screws. Black or metal?
3. Wire clips on engine block. Brass? Metal? Block color?
4. Radiator clamps.

I think I've got all the major components down as well as the major bolts and cap screws, but if you can think of any other small details or parts on the engine that are not obviouse, let me know.

I'm usually not this anal about the parts, but since it is sitting on sawhorses in front of me, I may as well paint it as correct as possible.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Most original fasteners had some type of oxide coating, a dull black.

If painted, use a dull black for clips, nuts, and bolt heads.

Radiator clamps a sliver like plated finish, like galvanized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:32 am:

Robert, while not quite era correct, I cad plated all the hardware that saw a wrench or will see a wrench sometime in the future.

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Wayne

Very nice! Lots of detail on your engine.

Just hard to find detail photos of original factory finished Improved engines, still looking, esp. one of the later Moleskin painted ones.

This is the famous 15th million engine on the rolling rack ready for install. Seemed it was painted special color, light looking. If you zoom the nickel plated dome head cyl. head bolts can be seen. Thought maybe this was primer, and the engine painted Moleskin later. But maybe is the color used. Don't know.

15th million, painted some color, black on other parts, block to pan nuts painted same as block.

This factory late cutaway motor at the Henry Ford shows Moleskin color on the block, and some of the parts, black elsewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:26 am:

Is this moleskin-colored engine paint available? If not, a Model T parts supplier should be challenged to make it so.

I have gradually become conscious of the small, picky details of authenticity, and the finish of every tiny part is part of that obsession. On the 1927 engine, I've found and installed such details as the nickel-plated spark-plug tops and finger-nuts (eBay is amazing), but the basic engine color remains a frontier.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Picked up some manifold spary paint from the auto parts store last evening. My intent was to paint the manifold an iron color and that is the shade I selected. I'll paint the manifold and see what it looks like. Since it is a high temp paint, if I like the shade, I may paint some nuts and bolts with it as well for the engine application. I've got an aluminum shade as well that I will try on the cad plated bolts and see if I like it. I want them to look "fresh" but not reflective.
Thanks for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:22 am:

The oxide finish was called raven finish by Ford, and most of the bolts and clips were done this way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration