Winfield Model O Carb?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Winfield Model O Carb?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Im trying to search for information and missing parts on this Winfield Model O carb.

It is a 2" diameter bore barrel valve down draft carb

The number cast into the bowl looks to be O-620 D and the number stamped into it were they normally stamp the serial numbers is OD469, which Im guessing is O for the Model and D for down draft.

Another odd thing about this carburetor is the barrel valve has HOWE cast right into it. The name Winfield is only on the bowl and not the barrel valve.

I have only seen this carb in two photos so far. One is of the Riverside Special which is the Model T Race Car and Truck that is in the American Museum of Speed and in a article that the North West Vintage Speedster Club has on their website. In the article it says that it is a combination of Model S and Model M Winfields and states that is "No doubt for race cars"

Has anyone on here seen one or know of any information on one please let me know. Thank You Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

The Winfield catalog clearly labels these as Model N, they are the companion carburetor to the Model M. M came in 3 sizes A,B,C. These came in 3 sizes D (1 3/4" nominal), E (1 7/8" nominal), F ( 2" nominal). They went thru several changes in design during their production span. Your bowl is original Winfield however the throat and the fuel inlet fitting are replacements.They were in fact sold also as replacement carbs for large vehicle engines including trucks! Here is one of mine and a catalog page .

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

I'll bet it was custom made by Winfield for the Bill Howe racing team in the 20's, running the Howe Hisso race cars.

http://winfield.50megs.com/Hisso.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Hmmmm, intriguing carburetor guys. Some of this I can fathom, but some of those little twiddles, wire and springs are a bit perplexing. Without pictures of every conceivable angle of this carb (some even looking down the throat and up the other end), I wouldn't even attempt drawing it...but it would be a fun assembly though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:38 am:

Thank you for the pictures Layden,

I don't have a Winfield catalog but hopefully that will change soon.

On your carburetor is the diameter of the throat at the bolting flange 2" or is it 1.75"? Mine measure 2" diameter at the bolt flange and does not look like it narrows down inside.

Ed has a interested thought about the Howe racing. That will also have to be a research project for me to find someone with one of the cars if they still exists and see if its the same.

Thank You Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:34 am:

Steve, it has my name right on it, better send it to me! You should have my address on file. If you want to get it restored by a Winfield expert first that's OK. Take your time. Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Steve,
Yes mine do measure right on 1.750", they are 1 3/4 size as a barrel valve carburetor usually measures on size since there is no restricting throttle shaft/butterfly to compensate for. Traded off my 2" years ago as I could not imagine getting it to run on a T engine, 1 1/2 is really a touch too big on the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini - Sacramento Calif on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Here's the early style Model N float bowl. This one is #92 and the throat has been sleeved down to 1 1/2 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini - Sacramento Calif on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Steve, if you remove the float bowl from the throat you will notice that the carb can be used as a downdraft, updraft, or sidedraft.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration