Another can't get it to start but electrical problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another can't get it to start but electrical problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

My 14 would crank on 3 or 4 pulls 30 degrees or 100. I replaced the contact strip in the bottom of the coil box with an original one but never tried to start it. Well I tried to start it a week or so later and nothing. I took coils in and out turned the switch on and off and then hooked it to a battery and nothing. Last night I took the box off and tested what was going on with the switch. Turns out the brass nuts and contacts were too tarnished to make contact in one place where the electricity has to go from the wire, through a nut and to the brass contact. I took the switch (the kind that is on front of the coil box) completely apart and sanded all the parts shiny and it works perfect. It really had me puzzled and tired from a lot of cranking. I made a handy tester, cut the wires on an old cell phone charger and strip them. Put alligator clips on the wires.Plug it in, attach alligator clip to a wire or contact then the other to a test light end. Then you can use the test light to test if current is flowing from point a to b. I know you can do that with a multimeter but I don't know where mine went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

The hard part is getting the car into the house next to the phone.

I know, I know. I'm just having a little fun being silly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Corey, a tester photo would help here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Can You Hear Me Now????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

3M "Scotchbrite" cloth (generally found in the paint department) is really a great product for burnishing up contacts and polishing up electrical connections. The bonus of this product is that any dust or shards from it are not conductive so you don't have to worry about leaving leakage paths inside of things when you use it to clean up electrical connection surfaces. For awhile Ford actually used a rivet to hold the bottom buss bar to the wood in the coil box and then soldered the wire into the hollow center of the rivet and this was NOT one of Ford's better ideas. The rivet gets loose and also corrodes and you end up with a nice connection between the wire and rivet but NO connection at all between the rivet and the bottom buss bar in the coil box. Better to pass the wire through the rivet and then solder the wire itself to the buss bar after cleaning up a nice shiny spot for it to reside. Only use Rosin Core solder for this purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 09:39 am:

And where's Dennis when we need him? Good job there Steve! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Here is a photo of the solution to soldering John describes. The FunProjects coilbox wood replacement kit recommends this procedure.
One additional point; Model T ignition coils commonly have the problem John describes with the two piece rivets used as box contacts.
Ron the Coilman

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration