NH Carb. repair help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: NH Carb. repair help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rex on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:51 am:

How do I get the NH spray nozzle out of the carb. body?
I have tried a large screwdriver (that fits full width of the opening) with a wrench on it.
Then I tried heating the carb. body in the area of the nozzle then used the screwdriver only to deform the slot in the nozzle.
What is the correct way to remove the nozzle?
Thanks for your help.
Steve Rex
Everett, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:52 am:

How much did you heat it?
Usually if you heat the carb body red hot with a torch & let it cool, then the spray nozzle should be easy to get out.

Here is a good info thread on NH rebuilding:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/46340.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:16 am:

I have a carburetor with the same problem. I have heated it with a propane torch, and still can't get the part out. One thing that I wish the vendors would sell, is a special tool to get that spray nozzle out, and another to get the seat out as well. Screwdrivers are not the answer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:43 pm:

Machine it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 01:06 pm:

I would guess propane doesn't get it hot enough. I use my acetylen/oxygen welding equipment as a "heat wrench" for rusted stuck parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 03:03 pm:

Also,if the oxy-acetylene heat treat doesn't free it,try putting a screwdriver in the slot and rap it with a BA hammer. That jars out the rust and usually frees it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DaGunny on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

I remember on one of the earlier forums that after you heat it melt some wax and it finds it way in and helps loosen. Any truth to this? I have gotten all mine out using a MAPP torch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.Boer on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 03:54 pm:

I heat the carb. with oxy-acetyleneSpecial the
area where the norzle and the float valve are
til that area is starting getting red and then
throw them in a bucket with water
then the smallest screwdryver is enough to take them out. it looks barbarous but it works for me
Greetings
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rex on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:59 am:

I used a dremel tool to deepen the screwdriver slot I buggered up then I used some parafin (wax) with heat, a few wacks with a hammer and it worked to get the nozzel out.
Last week I used the heated parafin to get the 2 inch brass nut off the exhaust manifold and it worked great.
Thanks for all your help.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration