Upholstery Recommendations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Upholstery Recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DaGunny on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:04 am:

In building my wife's roadster I want to do some things differently. The regular T seat and backrest are sparsely padded. I want to beef up the padding, and using original springs, have someone do it. I want blue pleather - something durable.
Is it advisable to seek out someone local or is there a place that lots of folks recommend?
This isn't a show car but one that will be driven a lot and we want some comfort as well as durability and uniqueness.
We were thinking of the Model T tartan but it just wouldn't wear. Maybe seat covers.
Would also like to get a top boot cover and spare wheel cover made of the same matching material.
Don't even try and talk me out of it cause it's hers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:31 am:

I had Snyder's custom build my seat back & bottom springs from my templates. Upholstery (by Paul Reichlin) job was with good thick padding and good thick Red leather hide. Being a member of the NWVSC - the endurance runs are 200 + miles so comfort is a must IMO ! racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 01:43 pm:

I used a thick piece of carpet on the seat bottoms, between the seat springs and upholstery, and thinner, automotive carpet on the seat backs. This was recommended by an upholstery shop. The auto carpet will conform to the bends on the seat backs. I then added a LOT of cotton wadding to each pleat, and hand sewed each pleat to keep the wadding in place and to give the correct appearance. A lot of work, and tedious, but the upholstery on my '15 Touring is very comfortable and looks great: not flattened out. The Cartouche kit I used did not have anywhere NEAR the correct amount of padding, and the pleats were not sewn into seperate compartments. I tried synthetic kapok type stuffing, but the cotton wadding gave the correct "feel" and support.
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

Tony,

Cadillac used a "royal blue" leather in their landyachts of the early 80s which shouldn't clash with the "DaGunny blue" that your better half has chosen.

I really like the blue color but prefer light gray upholstery to go with it. To each, his own - right?

Seth

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration