Lacquer and brass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Lacquer and brass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

My Dad finished restoration of a 1911 in 1992. He lacquered the brass at that time. Much of it needs cleaned, polished, and relacquered. I have been able to go through the lacquer in some areas with brasso and elbow greese but am looking for a better way to remove the lacquer. Any suggestions? As of this time I do not wish to remove all of the brass from the car but work on it in sections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 02:27 pm:

Permatex spray gasket remover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 02:44 pm:

Depends on what he used. Could have been baked on, could be lacquer, enamel, or something else. We tried a ton of different finishes before we got one that worked right. Try using Xylene to take it off. The most probably reason it tarnished is improper cleaning after buffing. Our favorite sealer (Everclear) needs to be cleaned with alcohol, then xylene until a white rag comes away clean. Skip a step or do a half-a$$d job and it will tarnish under the coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:09 pm:

The brass restorer here in Cincinnati says you can wipe it off with lacquer thinner or MEK. Be sure to do this outside!

Royce

brass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:17 pm:

Looks very familiar Royce only Dad painted the fenders, splash aprons, and running boards black and used pin striping on natural wood wheels. Have black tires as well.
Thanks all for the advise everyone. Really appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel Leipold on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:44 pm:

I use acetone to remove the lacquer and polish with semichrome. I then use a thin coat of auto wax. I never use lacquer. It always tarnishes under the lacquer. Nice looking 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

Denatured alcohol works great on old laquer but it's nasty nasty stuff.Rubber gloves and outdoor work is a must if you value your liver.It's absorbed very easy through your skin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

Darel,

I do the same thing as you do except the speedometer cable is lacquered because it is so hard to polish. Will probably have the horn tube done that way too.

One thing about having a pink T is that you can find it easy at a big Model T show.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration