Wooden hood shelves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Wooden hood shelves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 06:10 pm:

Can anyone give me the dimensions on hood shelves? I'd like to make a pair. I try to make everything myself like that, as shipping for such an item is as much as the item itself!!! Any help would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

I think it might help if you stated the year and maybe the body style of your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 02:16 pm:

Robert,

According to your profile, you are restoring a '23 which isn't supposed to have wooden hood shelves though it certainly can if you omit the blocks that would go between the steel shelves and the fenders. My '19 speedster had wooden ones and I really liked the look.

Since a '23 could have been either a low-hood (early) or high-hood (later), that will also matter since the steel hood shelves are different on those models.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

High hood? Low hood? Both types in one model year? Thats confusing. Does any one have a picture that shows the two types together with some dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 05:48 pm:

Sorry Guys, I omitted some crucial info. it is a 23 wooden bodied pickup. low hood, wooden firewall. Thought that it would look great with wooden hood shelves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 06:28 pm:

It will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 07:07 pm:

Robert,

I no longer have my low-hood speedster or I'd be happy to give you dimensions. These were on my car when I bought it so I don't know whether they were vendor parts or homemade but they are simple and you could easily make your own with 3/4" thick oak. I can provide this picture, however.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 09:23 am:

High hood...Low hood. According to all Ford literature,all 1923 models had the low hood. When Ford came out with the high hood models in the summer of 1923 they were called 1924 models.
As they say here in Pittsburgh, "What do I gotta do to learn youns?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:07 am:

Howard, for the different measurements on hoods 1917-23 and 24/25 see Phil Mino's post in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/38157.html

There have been other threads on comparing cowls and firewalls, like this one: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/23821.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

Robert,

Seth's hood shelves are basically a dead-on copy of the original, metal ones. The only difference, they're made of wood. If you can get a sample of the metal style, it can just be traced onto a piece of wood and presto...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

Robert,
Jerry's got the right idea; you may have to countersink some recesses on the underside to clear rivets & bolts though. Oh, and a place for the headlight wires.
T'
David D.
PS, Of course, you'll make them out of Hickory! :-)--It's a joke son, I tell you, a joke! Dadgum Chicken Hawk!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

David,
I live out in "the sticks". I make everything out of "Hick"-ory. :-) :-)
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish Bulger on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:22 pm:

Thank Bruce I read the book!
The "23" issue has gotten UPS a few extra bucks from guys ordering the wrong radiators. I try to double check asking if the firewall is wood or metal and I believe an apron was added below the radiator?
Whadday think of that Brucey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 08:24 am:

The firewall could be either wood or metal in a low-radiator car. Ford began using metal in the early 1923 year. The skirt over the crank area is one change when the high radiator came out, but the matching lips on the front fenders and the hood strips with the "dog leg" at the rear are two others (which could be missing, of course).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 09:37 am:

The issue is I dont have readily easy access to a complete model T. rare as hens teeth in this province, or so it would seem. If anyone could even draw it to scale and post it here, I would be most appreciative. love doing the woodwork, and I like the looks of Seths. well, its hot, time for a barley soda, and to finish off my vacation working on the toy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 09:53 am:

Robert,

HOT? In Nova Scotia? LOL! John Sizemore, Bob Sanders, and I probably think different....

I just talked to the new owner of my old speedy and he lives only 42 miles away. Since we are big buddies now and I have "visitation rights", the next time I visit I'll be glad to make some measurements and a drawing which I can scan and post, or e-mail if you prefer. That is, if you don't get the info you need in the meantime.

Have a greaT day,

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hudson on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 03:32 pm:

That would be great Seth, I am dying to finish this project, and take my mother for an inagural drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 04:02 pm:

Robert,

Sounds pretty serious so maybe I'd better go visit real soon!

Since the vendors need to stay in business to help keep this hobby alive, they probably wouldn't appreciate me posting that drawing here so when ready, I'll let you know.

Seth

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration