Clutch Fingers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Clutch Fingers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:23 am:

Are the fingers easy to adjust with trans in car? What is easiest way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:05 pm:

Ron,
After removing the tranny cover, jack up one rear wheel, chock the front safely, put the car in high and hand crank the car till one of the fingers rises to the twelve O'clock podition.
If you have a partner this part is easier.
Insert safety rags so the Gremlins cannot through things into your tranny. Tie a long cotton string through the cotter key holding the clutch finger adjusting screw in place. Remove cotter key the string will help keep the cotter key from falling into the celler.
I use an L shaped screw driver from the hardware and Turn the screw to the right (clockwise) to tighten, JUST A HALF TURN. A little is a lot here. Measure the clutch spring with a ruler until it measures 2 inches compressed. The book suggests 2 1/8 inches I like to, haven't had any problems.
Continue until all the clutch fingers have been adjusted this way and the spring measures 2 inches, replace ALL the cotter keys, remove surgical packing and seal the tranny.
Hope this helps ya.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

P.S.
"The book suggest 2 1/8 inches I like TWO (2), I haven't had any problems."
2 urly in the day to be tipping.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks that helps greatly

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration